Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Newcastle Photo, Cabinet sitting by itself
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newcastle Photo, Cabinet sitting by itself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeolian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Newcastle Photo, Cabinet sitting by itself Reply with quote

Silly technical cork sniffer query, but the picture Lizzy posted got me thinking. I've never seen Robben put anything on top of that 2-12 Dumble cabinet. The head and fx are always sitting on a road case. I remember him having both heads sitting on some Marshall bottoms at the Catalyst and Edge nightclubs awhile back, but that 2-12 is always sitting by itself. Maybe Daved could chime in if there's a specific reason for that.
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two reasons for this.

1) Robben wants the cabinet to resonate freely. This may be pure conjecture and he's not even sure it makes a difference, but hey, why not? The theory sounds good!

2) Oddly, no one has ever asked me about this, but.... ocassionally you may see me go onstage and angle the cabinet back slightly. There are a number of reasons for this, such as Robben's concern for people at tables sitting head height directly in front of his rig, I angle the cab to project over their heads some... or (as in the case of one of our UK shows) when we have unusually large monitors set directly in front of the rig with an angle that reflects the guitar back at Robben from the front, I angle the cab to project over the top of the monitors... or when we are on a stage with limited depth so Robben is standing only 3 or 4 feet in front of the rig, I angle the cab so that the sound doesn't just blow by his ankles.

In any case, not stacking the amphead and FX rack on top of the cabinet allows me to reposition the cab whenever, and however, necessary.
And placing them on the cabinet case makes it easy to roll them around, or on & off, the stage when necessary for set changeovers, as in the case where we opened for Robert Cray.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
midc74

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Robben's 2x12 cab Reply with quote

Speaking of Robben's Dumble cab...

Daved is that cab open, 3/4, or closed back? Does Robben always run it the same, or vary it (studio/gig, etc)?

Thanks so much! Very Happy

Patrick
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is about 1/2 closed with a large oval opening in the back.

Yes, Robben almost always uses it the same way... on the ground, on end, about 4-7 feet almost directly behind him. He does NOT like to hear his guitar in his monitors or coming at him from any other directions.

In fact, as a general rule, Robben is very ambient and wants almost nothing in his monitor other than vocals, with maybe the slightest touch of keys or Sax (if we are using them), and/or a hint of kick & snare. He often physically creates his own mixes onstage by moving to different positions while playing.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
midc74

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Robben's 2x12 cab Reply with quote

Thanks Daved!

That was a very thorough explanation.. and makes perfect sense.

Gives me a whole new perspective when watching concert footage of him.

I suppose it's only natural though. I often do the same thing when jamming, although usually it's just moving my head/upper body a foot or so in either direction.

Hey.. I just thought of another question about his cab. Has Robben ever tried two different speakers in that thing? Or does he always run two of the same?

Thanks,
Patrick
iamthewalrus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: tone tubbies? Reply with quote

Has Robben auditioned Tone Tubby speakers? If yes, opinion?

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Control freak. Now you say "control freak who."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: