Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Value of MIJ Esprit
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Value of MIJ Esprit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sampo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Value of MIJ Esprit Reply with quote

Hi!

I am considering of doing the unthinkable, i.e parting with my Esprit Standard here:

I have trouble finding right price for the guitar -- Esprits are quite rare here in Finland, like everywhere else. Prices of Harmony Central reviews seem to be on low side, but then again dealer prices for Flames and few Esprits are quite steep.

The guitar is in quite good shape, the top is more or less flawless, there is very little buckle belt rash in the back, but there are some minor scratches on the side. Pickups (SD's Jeff Beck and Jazz), bridge and coil splitter are professionally installed. That may take away some 'vintage' value, but I think these modifications are essential to 'functional' value. Roller bridge and Schaller are still in my possesion, though. Also, I think sunbursts are more desirable than black or white ones.

What do you think? Yes, I definately know I will probably regret this later, but other than that ...

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sampo
PierreL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take it for 500€ !!!

Seriously, I don't have an idea on the value of those guitars, but it sure does look nice (and I'd like to get one someday).
stairman2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've been observing the prices of guitars
have taken quite a tumble, people are still asking for a good price
but you don't see them selling for that.

I would be surprised if you got top price but good luck, I would love to
have it myself Laughing
Sampo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your input!

I did some re-thinking, spoke with some vintage/old Fender people and decided against selling, at least for now. I did some further research and there are some Flames (Standards and Elites) that are priced at 1700-2000€ with stock pickups and/or in black. Yeah, for that price I would reconsider Very Happy

If anybody is interested, I took some additional photos:
http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww152/SampoK72/

BTW, in eBay there is Squier Esprit (mislabeled as "Fender Esprit Robben Ford style electric guitar" and with borderline dishonest description, IMO) with similar upgrades .. BIN is $1,295.00.
Cheebatone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sampo wrote:
BTW, in eBay there is Squier Esprit (mislabeled as "Fender Esprit Robben Ford style electric guitar" and with borderline dishonest description, IMO) with similar upgrades .. BIN is $1,295.00.

Peter Cook's (in London) were selling them for £199. Whoever is asking $1295 for one is either a criminal or a fool. Both, probably.
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheebatone wrote:
Sampo wrote:

Peter Cook's (in London) were selling them for £199. Whoever is asking $1295 for one is either a criminal or a fool. Both, probably.

In Japan I see them selling for between $1000 and $1500, when you can find them. So I'll take all I can get for £199. The last MIJ RF guitars I saw for sale here were going for about $1500. They're pretty much impossible to find here anymore.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ducharme-jones

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one on E-bay 6 months ago and paid $998.00 w/ shipping. Excellant condition all stock. Saw the same guitar in Hamburg for 3000. eur. My question is, can you drop regular buckers in place of the schallers without doing any routing modification? Keep the guitar if at all possible, they're great!

I used mine in this video .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWobzQ-5Io

check it out if you've got the time.

cheers
Phil T

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same model, got it stock many years ago. I have changed to regular humbuckers. It would be possible to do it and sort of make it reversible, but not exactly. Mounting screw configuration is different. Take a look under the Shallers some time, the screws are not wood screws, they screw into threaded metal inserts mounted in the body under the PU. These must be removed and a little routing done in that spot (IIRC). Also the trim ring around the original PU is glued in and must be removed. You will need holes (in the top) in the four "corners" for the new PUs ring in the area under the original trim ring. So, it can be done and I could go back to the original look, but with the alterations evident under the PU. I also added the coil cut switch, easy to do but not reversible. I'm happy with the changes.
Nice tune.

ducharme-jones wrote:
I found one on E-bay 6 months ago and paid $998.00 w/ shipping. Excellant condition all stock. Saw the same guitar in Hamburg for 3000. eur. My question is, can you drop regular buckers in place of the schallers without doing any routing modification? Keep the guitar if at all possible, they're great!

I used mine in this video .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWobzQ-5Io

check it out if you've got the time.

cheers
Sampo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Master Series threesome in eBay right now -- Esprit, Flame and D'Aquisto with $6000 BIN :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Master-Series-Flame-Esprit-DAquisto_W0QQitemZ330345105288QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4cea1a4788&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

There is also Korean version on eBay right now that has reasonable BIN ($355.00) if anybody is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Esprit-Robben-Ford-Style-Guitar-Excellent_W0QQitemZ230359083511QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item35a278a9f7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

NOTE: I am not affiliated with either seller at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: