Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - The Flash Photography problem
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Flash Photography problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jconstant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: The Flash Photography problem Reply with quote

We all know that almost every review of a Robben performance we see around here mentions that Robben had to deal with the people who take flash photos during his show. Well, here's an idea.

How about Robben says something to the audience before the show like, 'Can I ask that you guys don't take flash pictures during the show? Thanks.'

I think it would mean a lot more coming from the man himself. If he were to ask them himself, would people really be so rude and disrespectful by disregarding his request?

Maybe that's not the way to open the show, but how about saying it after the first song?

I don't think an announcement from the house means much to people. That's like the flight attendant telling you before your flight how to use a seat belt. Nobody listens to that. But if Robben asks personally, I think that would really help the problem.

Just my $0.02.
big al

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a request, by Robben or whomever introduces him and the band, would make the audience aware, and responsible for their actions.

At the recent concert here in Ukiah, a fellow was front and center taking photos. Robben kept waving him off and frowning at him. I spoke to him, asking him to turn off the flash (as I had). The fellow was not even aware that his flash was on, being an outdoors venue.

Not to say that some oafs will ignor the request, especially indoors, but it couldn't hurt to mention it. And it might spur other audience members to police the dolts!

Hope this advise gets to Robben at some point.
jconstant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big al wrote:
or whomever introduces him and the band, would make the audience aware, and responsible for their actions.

I really don't think a 'whomever' will do it. It's got to be from Robben. Just a quick, simple request, and I think that might do the trick.

In fact, after a request like that, other audience members are more likely to get on someone's ass if they continue with the flash.

Maybe if we can fix this problem we can move on to shutting up the a-holes that came to the show to talk instead of listen.
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think that, logically, that would help, wouldn't one?

Unfortunately, folks, it doesn't... Robben has tried that time after time and it's part of the reason he gets so frustrated.

You want to know what happens?
Literally and truthfully, (No, this is NOT a joke) more people start breaking out their cameras as if to try to get a picture of Robben asking them to put their cameras away!

An excellent case in point was that night in London that gets continually brought up.

Three or four songs into the set, after his several casual comments to the photographers deliberately ignoring him at the front of the stage, when Robben stopped the show to actually plead and beg thru the mic and P.A. with the whole audience to put the cameras away (There is absolutely NO way one could miss or misunderstand what was happening or being asked for by Robben himself)... the flashes and the intensity of photography around the room almost immediately tripled, yes, TRIPLED!!! (Believe me, it is VERY noticeable when you are standing in front of and facing all those cameras.)
That's why I had to spend the bulk of the evening (admittedly, and hopefully understandably, not in a very good mood while I panicked about something going wrong on stage) wading thru the audience dealing with folks who either pretended they were the only people in the audience incapable of seeing me wave and signal them, or they just blatantly ignored me, moving to another spot as if I wouldn't see them once they moved...

What really got me was the guy with a camera or cell phone (?) whose super-led literally lit up the entire squinting audience around him as he continued to obliviously video-tape from the center of the crowd where I assume he thought he couldn't be seen... as his camera made it look like he had a follow-spot on him, blinding the folks around him.

BTW... please note that, when i first started working with Robben 9 years ago, photos were OK, just NO flash, but...
as time went by, it became obvious that people figure, if the guy next to me can take photos WITHOUT a flash, then it's Ok (and obviously important) for ME to take photos with a flash.
Like so many other things in life, people figure that rules, and courtesy, are for other folks, not themselves.
That is why Robben eventually felt he had to go with the "No show photography... PERIOD!!!".
Though, he continues to, usually, if you don't piss him off, let you take photos with him away from the stage.

One last comment...
Ever wonder how folks like RoadWarriorForTheBlues CONTINUALLY get such great show photos?
Because people like Andrea THINK about what they're doing and RESPECT the spirit of the artists wishes.
She uses a decent camera which doesn't require flash and she stands well away from the stage, NOT being obvious or DISTRACTING to the performers...
... SO NO ONE MINDS THAt SHE IS TAKING PHOTOS...
...AND THEY LET HER TAKE HER PHOTOS!!!!!
...AND SHE TAKES GREAT PHOTOS FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY!

Why is it so hard for everyone else to figure that out for themselves?!?!?

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)

Last edited by Daved on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Flashes Reply with quote

Always same bread back on the table . We have to admit that a lot of people going to concerts they don't give a fuck about music, that is the truth , it is just a mass media consumptor , that very first night i was in oakland for jingchi , the night with the guest sax player, we didn't make it well so comin' in late we were stuck next to the entrance , lot of people babbling out loud , we were sharing a table with 2 young dudes it was obvious the guy was not there for Robben but just to try to get more than a date and that was painful for me , between their parad of love , the waitress never ending " hi guys want da ya wanna drink" and all ....it was hard to focus. So are the Photo addict , they are not there for Robben , they are there to fullfill their fantasms about how go between rock & star.
Well , well , well , Robben might wears Vuarnet or Wayfarers. I don't think it will calm down the way DAved felt it.
jconstant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Daved, that's a shame. I'd like to think that fans of Robben would have more respect than that but, sadly, no.

I probably sound like my grandfather, but people are just getting more and more disrespectful of each other as time goes on. Very sad...
Cheebatone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Robben needs to have designated photo opportunities between songs. He should finish a tune, throw some fashion shapes...

...and then, BANG! ...straight into the next tune.

It's a winner, trust me.

Laughing
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had pants like the guy on the left... a long, long time ago. Laughing
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: oh yes Reply with quote

Actually i can believe this , so you were more a fan of Bee Gees then Cool

As for Robben Ford i doubt his wife would enjoy the outfit Question
apepp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just this year at a cardiff gig with the oli brown band, robben stopped, took his guitar off and actually got off stage himself and approached some guy in the audience, pretty much squared up to him, whilst in the background the band continued to jam...

...that was the most angry i've seen him before...

...as it turned out that ruined the flow of the gig for me, looked like robben was really suffering on stage too with bad stage light heat, shining right at him...

...not a great gig venue, i think robben wasn't reallly content that night...
route66blues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a saying. I try not to let my idiosyncrasies get in the way of my productivity. Robben’s vampire like fear of flash obviously does that. I respect his wishes but unfortunately most people don’t. It is however the venues responsibility to enforce his wishes. They should have the manpower and the willingness to remove people if necessary.

As a venue owner or promoter if I’m told that if I can’t control the crowd Robben’s out of there and it is up to me to explain why. I’m going to make sure it doesn’t happen. The promoters sign contracts and it specifically states the photo and recording policy. The show should be advanced to make sure they understand. Day of show ask them what they are going to do to control the situation if it arises.

As for the affect his irritation of photography has on him I might suggest counseling but it hasn’t worked for me. Of course my fear is a little more understandable. I fear cancellation.
PierreL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, at the concert I was last Wednesday, they had signs stating that flashes were forbidden, and just before Robben's show, an announcement was made, saying that both photographs and recordings were strictly prohibited.
Anyway, I did not see any single flash during the evening, which was quite surprising to me, considering that usually French people tend to not follow the rules...
Also, in the morning we had this master class, one student took a pic without asking with the flash, which clearly disturbed him. Same when one guy started filming with a cell phone.
Later on when the master class was finished I asked him if he was OK for a photo and the answer was a polite but firm NO. No big deal, we had a good time.
Three Chord Monte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robben wouldn't be the first spiritual person to believe that the camera may steal part of a person's soul. That wouldn't be good for any of us. Maybe it's just vanity. I wouldn't want close ups of my mug all over the internet, so I don’t blame him. Maybe it's some phobia. I don't know, and it really doesn't matter. One thing's for sure, the interplay between Robben and the photographers detracts from the performance. I’ve seen this on more than one occasion.

Naturally I blame inconsiderate people as the cause of most of life’s annoyances (it's an integral part of my day in recent years) and then I blame the venue. The man doesn't want his picture taken. It doesn't sound like a crazy request. Now, I understand that many venues don't give a rat's ass what the performer desires, therein lies the dilemma.

Regardless, I don't understand why it should be up to empathetic fans to police the crowd for self-centered camera geeks that fail to follow simple rules. Work it out, boys and girls interested in entertaining me. This is the forte of retired kick boxers and slow skating hockey players. It matters little to me, as a fan, if the security is provided by the artist or the venue; it just seems that some type of intimidating force is called for to alleviate this prevalent distraction.
Someone needs to enforce this “no camera” policy. I’ll do my part, but a little help from the artist’s staff and the venue would be nice. Otherwise, let Robben have at it. Drop the Tele and break some heads. That’s the type of tension that the audience feels when nobody intervenes in the ongoing dispute.
frank0936

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Flash Reply with quote

Robber gave a clinic in Purchase NY on Aug 12. He allowed pictures AFTER his clinic. I was standing about a foot away from him as others were posing with him for pictures (I didn't ask for one). As each flash went off, Robben would flinch. I believe from my observations that he is just very sensitive to bright lights. I know other people like that and a flash in the face is physically painful to them. I agree that the venue needs to be responsible for policing the customers. It shouldn't be up to the artist's staff to do it. when I go to a show I try to be mindful of the venue's requirements. I usually don't even bother to bring a camera unless it's an outdoor festival.
Frank
Phil T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:
NOT being obvious or DISTRACTING to the performers...
... SO NO ONE MINDS THAt SHE IS TAKING PHOTOS...
...AND THEY LET HER TAKE HER PHOTOS!!!!!
...AND SHE TAKES GREAT PHOTOS FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY!

Why is it so hard for everyone else to figure that out for themselves?!?!?
Daved said it ... it's the "D" word
(IMHO, if you are a performer, you understand that this can interrupt your concentration. Many people would find it difficult to do their job with constant, bright, flashing lights in their face)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: