Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Upcoming RF Projects for '10
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming RF Projects for '10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Upcoming RF Projects for '10 Reply with quote

I spoke at length with Robben on the phone last nite.

Robben says that "The Robben Ford Band", as such, is pretty much over and done with for the forseeable future.

However, he says he is, and will be, busier than ever by getting involved in a variety of other interesting projects. He tells me he wants to be less of a frontman and start getting more involved in colaborating with a variety of other artists.

He is, of course, finishing up the psudo-Jing-Chi recordings featuring Jimmy Haslip, Mike Landau and Gary Novack. He tells me that they will drop the "Jing-Chi" title and come up with something else as they feel Jing-Chi was always primarily a Haslip, Calaiuta, Ford project. They're still looking to make it available sometime after the first of the year.

He has also started writing and doing some demo recordings with Michael McDonald in hopes of recording an album together next year and doing some touring on it.

In addition he says he's been talking with horn player Bill Evans about working with, and hopefully recording/touring with, him too next year.

And, of course, he still plans on involvement with Larry Carlton.

He seems to have a few other irons in the fire too, but nothing nailled down yet with them.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
frank0936

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: new name Reply with quote

Jing -not-Chi? Laughing

Hate to see the Robben Ford Band go away, there was some great stuff from that band. But I'm looking forward to the new projects, too.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are exciting times. To have the freedom to start anew. People say cats have nine lives, but I think artists do. I say go for it, Robben! Very Happy
Piemonte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Robben Ford Band Reply with quote

Thanks Daved for posting this information.

I have to admit to feeling pretty sad on hearing this news. I've really enjoyed Robbens gigs, Master classes, and clinics here in Italy over the last couple of years and would just like to say thank you to Robben for the enjoyment I've had following his music here.

I'd also like to wish Robben good luck in his future ventures and hope that he will visit Italy or Europe again sometime in the future. If that's not possible I'll just have to come to the US to see some gigs Smile

I'm so glad I've got tickets for his two gigs in Switzerland later this month.

Thanks again Robben. We love you here in Italy, please don't be a stranger in this country.

Kind Regards

Clive
Jon07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually really looking forward to a bit of a change from Robben - I really like the Jing Chi albums and the Supernatural album, so a change from the blues band to a more diverse range of music including some instrumental material is a positive thing for me. Can't wait to hear Robben & Mike Landau trading licks.
Piemonte

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a little sad on the one hand, because I enjoy Robben in a front man role. However having said that, Robbens future projects look pretty exciting. Supernatural is one of my favorite albums of all time, so the collaboration with Michael McDonald is pretty mouth watering and the Jing Chi, Mike Landau stuff is also something to really look forward to.

All in all exciting times ahead for us Robben fans Smile

I can't wait!
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for the new Jing Chi!

Robben will be amazing at what ever he does! Bring it all on! :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PierreL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Evans, Mike Landau, Larry Carlton, Michael Mc Donald, that's all good to me...
That's even better if this way we get to hear Robben more frequently.
Yet I wish the Robben Ford Band could live on , even if it is on a less regular basis, the current line up is really good.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon07 wrote:
I'm actually really looking forward to a bit of a change from Robben - I really like the Jing Chi albums and the Supernatural album, so a change from the blues band to a more diverse range of music including some instrumental material is a positive thing for me. Can't wait to hear Robben & Mike Landau trading licks.

I couldn't have said it better myself. And, I would think that the RFB is just going into a bit of a hibernation, like bears in winter. He'll be back with a band in the future, and this break will bring him back with some fresh new blues ideas. JMHO.
edpesco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for everything turn turn turn...

Daved, will you be in Memmingen on Sunday 15th?
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Ed, I won't be there.
Seems the more Robben gets involved in these other projects, the less he feels he needs my services. Frankly, it's even getting hard to get him to return my calls or keep his appointments with me anymore.
A little disappointing maybe, but it's all good, 'cause fortunately I have Gregg Allman who seems to feel he can't do without me these days... LOL... keeping me very busy.
... to everything, turn, turn, turn...
And I sincerely wish Robben the best with his new directions. I hope they work out for him.
Sampo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:

That sucks in so many levels.

Just in case this unfortunately means that you will be taking hiatus from this forum until RF Band (or better yet Blue Line) returns, I'd like to state my sincere thank you and appreciation for your effort here, on the road and in the studio helping one of our favourite artists.

All the best and good luck!
Sampo
Piemonte

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a small article in this months UK guitarist with Robben in which he expresses a desire to learn how to cook Italian food. For sure if he learns to cook to the same standards as he plays guitar, I'll make a reservation in his restaurant!! I live in Piemonte Italy and love Italian food and of course Barbaresco and Barolo wine too! Wink
edpesco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:
Seems the more Robben gets involved in these other projects, the less he feels he needs my services. Frankly, it's even getting hard to get him to return my calls or keep his appointments with me anymore.
A little disappointing maybe, but it's all good, 'cause fortunately I have Gregg Allman who seems to feel he can't do without me these days... LOL... keeping me very busy.
Don't worry Daved, according to your skills you will always have a job and you know it!
lemonjefferson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daved - Hope you still frequent this forum - Ive met you a few times at Robben gigs and even though Ive asked you really stupid questions - you were always really polite and took the time to answer everything!

Look forward to seeing at a gig real soon

best wishes
LJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: