Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Robben - Bill Evans (Soulgrass meets blues) Material.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robben - Bill Evans (Soulgrass meets blues) Material.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessefender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Robben - Bill Evans (Soulgrass meets blues) Material. Reply with quote

I recently discoverd that Robben is coming to Holland and I'm definately going. It's part of his Soulgrass meets blues tour with Saxophone player Bill Evans. I'm going anyhow/anyway but I am still wondering what kind of material will be played. Will it be only Bluegrass stuff/Bill Evans material or also some Robben Ford originals?

I'm curious, anyway, I can't wait 'til the third of June!!!!
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Soulgrass meets Blues Reply with quote

This is interesting

I can't even imagine what it will sound like ? !

I see they are posted to play the Blue Note NYC March 23-28.

I saw Bill Evans and Jon Herrington play with Warren Haynes' Govt Mule in December at the Beacon. I also saw Herrington play the ENTIRE Royal Scam album from start to finish last August at the Beacon. It was unbelievable. I think he played a different Steely Dan album each night of the run at the Beacon, but I only saw the Royal Scam show.

I want to hear Robben cut through wailing banjo and whining sax !
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Soulgrass meets Blues Reply with quote

Events like this make me wish there were subscriptions to virtual concerts. Imagine if several artists who share many of the same fans got together to broadcast their live shows. Subscriptions could be sold, on an annual basis, like satellite radio, and a different concert would be available for viewing each day. Nothing fancy, just a view of the stage, with sound equivalent to what I'd hear if I was there in person.

Maybe one of the satellite radio service providers is in the best position to market this type entertainment, once the artists band together and figure out the best way to film their shows. The artists need to band together and take the lead.

Sorry If I just drove this thread off the intended path... but some detours are worthwhile.
Jessefender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be amazing:D

If only that was possible...

wait, it is!
I do think it's complicated tho,
FenderAmpFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this show? Im thinking about going in NYC and wondering what its was like.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenderAmpFan wrote:
Has anyone seen this show? Im thinking about going in NYC and wondering what its was like.

This lineup has never performed together before. There was not a banjo player on the Asia tour w/ RF & SL. I wonder if the bass will be upright? You have to go... so you can tell us all about it. It is your duty! Very Happy
FenderAmpFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an acoustic gig?
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: pleeeeeeessse Reply with quote

If anyone finds reviews or video of the Blue Note shows, please leave the links on this thread. Thanks.

There are a lot of great video clips of last week's tour (from Asia) on youtube now.
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Soulgrass meets Blues Reply with quote

roadwarriorfortheblues wrote:
Events like this make me wish there were subscriptions to virtual concerts. Imagine if several artists who share many of the same fans got together to broadcast their live shows. Subscriptions could be sold, on an annual basis, like satellite radio, and a different concert would be available for viewing each day. Nothing fancy, just a view of the stage, with sound equivalent to what I'd hear if I was there in person.

Maybe one of the satellite radio service providers is in the best position to market this type entertainment, once the artists band together and figure out the best way to film their shows. The artists need to band together and take the lead.

Sorry If I just drove this thread off the intended path... but some detours are worthwhile.

Andrea,
Sounds like you are ripe for Michael Nesmith's VideoRanch 3D... lol.

Michael (yes, the same one from the Monkees) has always been a pioneer (MTV, country rock, music videos, etc.) and is blazing new trails with the virtual concerts and festivals he's holding at the ranch. No one else is yet doing what he has going on there.

This last weekend showcased the 4 day Global Zone Music Festival with bands new and old, including Asleep At The Wheel, Vander Lee, A Fine Frenzy, Band Of Heathens, Texas Tornados, Michelle Malone, Kashmir, Mieka Pauley, Lal Meri, and others performing at the Blue Horizon Amphitheater. They even had a couple clinics and a Les Paul guitar giveaway.

Past performers have included, among many others... the Boxmasters, Rancho Deluxe, David Bromberg, the Dedringers, Ranch Dressing, Asobi Seksu, Peter Case, Tony Furtado, John Jorgenson, Laurence Juber, Patty Larkin, Laura Love, Bill Kirchen, Roy Rodgers and the Delta Rythym Kings.
Even Charlie Musselwhite.

I was told by Nez's wife (Fang, the ranch foreman) that they approached Robben about performing there a couple years ago but it didn't work out (Love him to death, but Robben is a bit hesitant and slow about getting involved when it comes to new technologies... LOL).

Michael himself often drops by and visits with everyone.

Last year he held the first ever internet virtual festival at the ranch.
Performances and soundchecks are done in real time while you actually watch the bands perform live while they too can interact with you, the audience, (they are in a green screen studio which is fed into the virtual world of the ranch) .
Bands can even sell merchandise at the merch booths set up for concerts.

In the ranch world, you move freely with an avatar of your own design and interact in real time with others from around the world. On weekends music and dancing (yes, dancing) is enjoyed in the evenings by ranch members at Ed's October Outdoor Cafe and also on the patio of the LittleHorse Diner. Videos are screened often at the Formosa Diner and old films are viewed at the Rio Drive-In Theater (Steal a car and go for a drive, lol... seriously!). You can even fly! Go up and check out the 'Pie-In'The-Sky'.

You should check it out. Go to www.videoranch.com and click on the VR3 link to download the software. I've been frequenting the ranch for a couple years now and have been talking with Gregg Allman's manager (who's very eager to work with the new technology) about possibly getting Gregg & friends to perform there sometime next year.

At this point, the ranch has several thousand members from all over the world who hang out regularly and/or gather together for concerts, performances, book readings, and the newly instituted festivals.

A goodtime is always had by all.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videoranch sounds interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll check it out. I was suggesting something simple... like videocams on mic stands (as used by Rodrigo y Gabriela) or using video shot for festival monitors or the bigscreen for internet broadcasting as well. I can watch every college sports competion played, by simply logging onto a college athletics website (although some schools are beginning to charge a fee now), yet there are only a handful of clubs that offer videoconcerting. I would rather pay for a subscription that goes into the musicians' pockets, or to a consortium of musicians, than pay the venues or ticketmaster or live nation. I heard Crossroads sold out very quickly. A festival like that could easily provide videoconcerting -- they've already got cameras shooting for the display monitors. Fine if they want to sell DVDs that take months to edit and expensive packaging. I bought one.... it wasn't as good as some of the bootlegs that were available a few days after Crossroads. But the world is ready for videoconcerting. A lot of people have TVs with internet connectivity. And before you know it, there will be 3D Football and every other sport in 3D. And then, I will never get control of the remote.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved, does Michael Nesmith still wear a wool hat? :-)
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, JZ... No, but he does still write and record great music. I remain a huge fan and am never disappointed by each new album he releases.

Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwarriorfortheblues wrote:
....I was suggesting something simple... using video shot for festival monitors or the bigscreen for internet broadcasting as well.... there are only a handful of clubs that offer videoconcerting. I would rather pay for a subscription that goes into the musicians' pockets, or to a consortium of musicians, than pay the venues or ticketmaster or live nation. .... But the world is ready for videoconcerting. A lot of people have TVs with internet connectivity....

Then, it sounds like you are talking about things like Butch Truck's www.Moogis.com website. One relatively small yearly subscription (for the cost of one or two tickets, you get the entire run and more) allowed you, and any gatherings of family and friends, to watch the entire run of Allman Brothers Band New York City theater concert performances in real time on the internet, plus band member/guest musician/crew interviews.

The archives allow you to go back and watch all of these shows again at any time. The subscription also allows you access to past concerts and some upcoming special event shows and festival concerts.

Moogis (said to be named after the way Butch pronounced the word "music" as a young child) is primarily drummer Butch Trucks' project/brainchild, backed, endorsed, and paid for by the entire band, and all proceeds go to Butch and the band.

Last year's (40th anniversary year) Beacon Theater shows were the first and has many great shows and guests (like Eric Clapton) in the archives. This years run at the United Palace Theater was again a successful multi camera shoot of shows presented nightly in real time as the concerts took place.

Tho you cannot home-record the shows, you can watch the shows/archives at any time on your computer or other internet accessable platforms. The site (along with it's associated forum), gives plenty of assistance in hooking up your computer to other viewing mediums (TVs, home entertainment setups, etc.).

This year, 2010, introduced the "Jam Cam" which randomly showed additional band, crew, backstage activities, and show angle shots not readily available to the audience... again all in realtime.

Check out www.Moogis.com for more info and some interview samples, along with a free sample viewing of a "Black Hearted Woman" performance from the 2009 Beacon Theater run to check out visual/audio quality.
Let me know what you think, Andrea.

FYI... this is the same kind of thing that Nez is doing at the VideoRanch. Though the weekend music, videos, and movies are "virtual" but interactive... his concerts, readings, interviews, and festivals are all live, real-time and interactive.
He inserts the live performances into his virtual world/community with the use of green-screens in his central California studio and his recently added new feed from a studio in Austin, TX, allowing them to be real time interactive events between the performers and you, the attending audience members.

roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Moogis is the subscription based thing I'm talking about. I haven't subscribed yet. I'm a fan but not a fanatic of all things Allman. I'd prefer a subscription service with a wider offering -- but the lineup at Wanee is a good example of variety.

I realize Moogis is still new and they're probably working on a lot of exciting possibilities. But the economy has everyone in a holding pattern. New technologies, such as affordable TVs with internet capability, are just beginning to come to market. I've delayed buying a new TV myself because I don't like the user interface, or lack of one, when connceting the TV with the home network. If I'm going to subscribe to a live concert channel, I want to watch it on my TV, not at my desk. And there's probably other people who would prefer to watch full-length concerts on their cell phones or ipads, or whatever people will be carrying around next year...
ghibliss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Robben Ford and Bill Evans notes from The Blue Note New York Reply with quote

I attended Robben Ford and Bill Evans show at the Blue Note in New York recently. The sound was excellent and the Band was superb! Songs from each artist were played and they really jammed as each song played was about 10 minutes long. I am sure any Robben Ford fan would enjoy seeing this "dynamic duo" as they sounded incredible together.

The band was comprised of a number of outstanding musicians which included Will Lee from Paul Schafers David Letterman Show Band, Keith Carlock from Steely Dan and numerous other groups, and Ryan Cavanaugh on electric Banjo which really added a new dimension to the music.

The Blue Note
New York, NY
March 25, 2010
Early Show

Robben Ford Guitar
Bill Evans Tenor and Soprano Saxophone
Will Lee Bass
Ryan Cavanaugh Banjo
Keith Carlock Drums

Set List

1) Lateral Climb
2)
3) Don’t Worry About Me
4) Keltic Junction
5)
6) Peace on My Mind
7) Ode to The Working Man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: