Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Matt Schofield
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matt Schofield
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Matt Schofield Reply with quote

I know Robben really rates Matt Schofield but am I alone in thinking that he sounds a bit too much like a Robben clone?
Phill_B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Schofield to me has his own distinct sound and style which is influenced by Robben but I think that he is far from a clone. You can hear a lot of influences in him from other people but since most people that play blues go for that SRV sound Schofield stands out due to his harmonic complexity and knowledge of that "outside note stuff" which is in a great balance with the blues stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvHVUIumLQ0
this says it all
PierreL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Matt Schofield, but to be honest, I don't really find any harmonic complexity in his playing or music...which is why I I also do not think that he is a clone of Robben, even though you can hear some general influences.
Jon07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phill_B wrote:
Matt Schofield to me has his own distinct sound and style which is influenced by Robben but I think that he is far from a clone. You can hear a lot of influences in him from other people but since most people that play blues go for that SRV sound Schofield stands out due to his harmonic complexity and knowledge of that "outside note stuff" which is in a great balance with the blues stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvHVUIumLQ0
this says it all

I don't dislike Matt's playing at all - and I do agree that for a younger strat-playing blues guitarist, he's refreshingly not doing an SRV. And if you're going to be influenced by anyone, Robben's going to be a good bet.

Another great UK player is Eddie Tatton who used to play with Out Of The Blue - great blues/jazz mix
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL wrote:
I like Matt Schofield, but to be honest, I don't really find any harmonic complexity in his playing or music...which is why I I also do not think that he is a clone of Robben, even though you can hear some general influences.

Exactly. I like his music alot but this explains why I listen to Matt's albums once and then move on...
Metrodome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play the devils advocate and side with Philly. Ive been listening to Robben since the 1970s.The Charles Ford Band use to play at a place called the Cellar for a quater that was for 4 hours.At that time early on in Robbens career he was heavily influenced by Mike Bloomfield but he wasn't no clone! Nobody just picks up a guitar and makes up a completely new style and approach that nobody has heard before, everybody steals like hell from everybody else but they end up making it their own (unless you're Kenny Wayne Shepard). I've been on to Matt for the past couple years and I haven't heard another guitarplayer in the UK or Europe that even comes close. Ive listened to a bunch of guitar players on youtube, and posters from this forum, and I didn't have much to write home about, that being said I can hardly play so I guess were even! :-D
bluesman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metrodome wrote:
I'll play the devils advocate and side with Philly. Ive been listening to Robben since the 1970s.The Charles Ford Band use to play at a place called the Cellar for a quater that was for 4 hours.At that time early on in Robbens career he was heavily influenced by Mike Bloomfield but he wasn't no clone! Nobody just picks up a guitar and makes up a completely new style and approach that nobody has heard before, everybody steals like hell from everybody else but they end up making it their own (unless you're Kenny Wayne Shepard). I've been on to Matt for the past couple years and I haven't heard another guitarplayer in the UK or Europe that even comes close. Ive listened to a bunch of guitar players on youtube, and posters from this forum, and I didn't have much to write home about, that being said I can hardly play so I guess were even! Very Happy

You guessed wrong! We are definitely not even! Evil or Very Mad
If you can hardly play how you can judge other player, musician?!
No disrespect to Matt, he is a very nice BLUES player but there are bunch of really killer guitarists here in UK who can play ANY stile with great technical skills, feel and original material.
Unfortunately they don’t have “pushers and movers” around them to get heard and appreciated!!!.
Buy “Alchemists” album I and II and you’ll hear at least thirty monster guitarists from UK, EU and US, not necessarily blues players but great rock, jazz, fusion and classical guys.
But probably you think that UK guys like Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Martin Taylor, Albert Lee, David Kilminster, Guthrie Govan, Bub Roberts, Mario Parga, Peter Wood, Ron Sayer and MANY others who don’t necessarily play 3-4 chord 12 bar blues are inferior guitarists than Matt or Mr. God EC.

By the way read this:
By the tender age of 16 Oli Brown had toured in America twice and shared UK stages with Walter Trout and the Godfather of British Blues John Mayall. Such hallowed connections only serve to reaffirm the belief, that for many, Oli is the most promising Blues man to emerge from Britain in a long time. Not only a guitar prodigy but also a singer, songwriter and consummate performer. This is a young man who shows a talent beyond his years and has a great future ahead of him.
Jazz Café, London

I understand that personal taste is a very special thing. You can Love Picasso’s painting style but you can’t disrespect Salvador Dali as a painter because he’s not a cubist.
Kindest regards
Metrodome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you're higher than a Georgia Pine! Since when did having an opinion become dependent on you're skill level of an instrument? Should there be a board of examination that determines if you can play (in some peoples cases more than "3 - 4 chords") and if your opinion is deemed exceptable in correlation to skill level? I guess this forum would have a few less members?? In that case you would be right? Dyno-mite?
Sorry if this offends anybody but I'm doing it for the kids! I just got back from the Climate Summit... to much coffee shop action!
Metrodome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginners Guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14
Bluelobster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: action on Reply with quote

Laughing It's been a long time since this place was heated. I am not sure what i am doing overthere apart a lot of grammatical trashing but Dome if you can barely play , oh yes U are entitled to give your feelings that is a good thing, you can elaborate communication.
I do tend to think musical level is correlated ....anyway.
jconstant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with Phil. There are certainly similarities between Matt and Robben but Matt is pretty much his own player. You're not the first to suggest they sound alike though, for sure. I think it may come largely from the fact that Matt, like Robben, has a really good grasp of jazz so he knows how to make the blues more harmonically interesting. I absolutely love Matt Schofield and I'm thrilled to know that he's coming to the U.S. finally next year.

By the way, I have a recording of a Robben clinic I attended a few years ago and Robben talked about copying other players and said something like, "There was a time when I sounded just like Mike Bloomfield, and I was happy about it!"
bluesman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well aged Matt Schofield! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QCg7GVpLg
Also awesome player!
PierreL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool clip. Chuck D'Aloia is a great player.
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL wrote:
Cool clip. Chuck D'Aloia is a great player.

Never heard of him before. But that's very tasty playing.
Budda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck is really cool! He's also an excellent instructor. Check out his "Blues With Brains" Series:

http://www.chuckdaloiamusic.com/id2.html

Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBrm-BvZRjg&feature=related

I like how he explains what to do, first. Then, he demos it like in this clip.

As for Mr. Schofield? Pretty cool clip! I also looked at a couple more clips on YouTube. He is very good. And smooth, too. I bet he gets better and better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: