Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - If you can't say something nice... (Grammy rant)
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you can't say something nice... (Grammy rant)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telefunk1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: If you can't say something nice... (Grammy rant) Reply with quote

Ok, like the subject line says... but I just have to ask. Did anyone else watch the Taylor Swift segment with Steve Nicks last night? Was it just me or is Taylor a really mediocre singer? She was totally flat on the Nick's tune, could not hit the notes, and it looked like Stevie wanted to smack her upside her head at one point.

On the other hand, the Jeff Beck tribute to Les Paul was pretty cool. Nice contrast to the above spectacle.

Irony of the evening: I was watching Kevin Spacey's quirky and wonderful bio pic of Bobby Darin, Beyond the Sea, on IFC last night, then read that BD won a lifetime achievement award last night. Pretty cool. Great movie with even better music.

Grammys - don't know why I watch them, kind of like watching a car wreck, can't take your eyes off it...
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor who? Laughing

I watched Doctor Zhivago (2002) and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Very Happy
jconstant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't watch it, but that happens to be the very same thing a friend who did watch it mentioned to me this morning. So at the very least you're not alone.

It's sad to see this and other bullshit going on in music these days. I suppose I sound like my grandfather, but c'mon - Stevie Wonder and the Jonas Brothers - are you kidding me?
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is 'Thank god for DVR' when it comes to the Grammys.

I fast forwarded through the Taylor/Nicks thing and just about everything else. I don't know how anyone can pay attention with 7 minute commercial breaks, and all the bull shit.

I plan out everything I watch now, and zip through the commercials. I don't have time to watch anything when it airs live, I watch everything at my convenience. DVR, the best invention ever!!!
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of my friends were also commenting how aweful Swift was. Perhaps the magic is over for her now?

I also caught parts of the Bobby Darin/Kevin Spacey movie. I was impressed with Spacey's being able to hold a tune.

I think it's been over a decade since I've attempted to watch the Grammy's...
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch the Grammy's at all, never do... boring.

However, I'm glad to hear of the Darin/Spacey tribute acknowledgements.

I am a huge Darin fan... not only as the greatest "swing" singer/performer of all time (in my opinion, anyway) but also as such a successful writer and performer in so many other music forms as well... rock and roll, country, folk, etc.
(I MUST take difference with all those who argue with me that Sinatra was the "king of swing". Sinatra's band was arguably amongst the top of swing musicians, but Sinatra himself was a very poor "swinger" to my tastes... bland and unemotional).

Spacey, like me, is also a big fan of Darin's and made the movie as a tribute, afterward taking an orchestra on the road for a period of time, performing a Darin "tribute" show. Wish I could have seen it.
Spacey DOES do a great Darin impersonation.

My only complaint about the movie was that Spacey did liberalize heavily with "artistic license" the plot and actual facts of Darin's story. For example, unlike in the movie, Bobby never did publicly acknowledge his real mother/sister. And what was with this "choreographed dancing in the streets" business?!?!.
To his credit, he does openly admit this and is very straight forward about his reasons for doing so.

I'd still love to see an "authentic" biographical film made of Bobby's life and career.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
telefunk1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darin swings like one bad MF - I have a couple of CDs that are in the car at all times -he just makes me happy! He sounds like he is having such a blast. I think Roger Kelleway, who has worked with RF if I am not mistaken, was his arranger or band leader at one point?

The Spacey movie. Willfull suspension of disbelief and all that. It is not a true biography (although one would be pretty cool if done well). I dig the huge song and dance sequences - just fun campy Hollywood musical kind of stuff - and the back and forth with the young BD. And that yellow suit is pretty cool, too! IMHO just good film making with excellent music.

Swift - turns out there is a cottage industry about her lack of singing ability. Seems to be a well known fact. 9-12 year old's don't seem to mind or care, so what do I know!
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darin : Yes, Roger Kelleway was Bobby's musical director fo awhile... around the time of the "Dr. Doolittle" movie soundtrack period, I believe.

Spacey movie : Don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy Spacey's movie.... quite entertaining. I was a bit put off upon first viewing as I went into it thinking it was a legit biography... but upon viewing the "making of..." segments and finding that Spacey did the interpretations deliberatly with no intention of making a factual biography, I accepted. And with his obvious respect for Darin, I understood and enjoyed the flick.
Still, would be nice if he (or anyone) would now do a true and accurate biography.

Swift : generates no interest whatsoever in me...

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Grammys: Never watch 'em. The blues, jazz and classical awards I'm most interested in are given out at six in the morning ... in an abandoned warehouse miles away from that night's show.

My favorite winners this year: Bela Fleck, Kurt Elling, Levon Helm, Ramblin' Jack Elliot and Derek Trucks. My wife actually watched some of the show, and didn't see any of them. (Sort of cool that Derek had to beat Susan for his -- musta' made for some interesting talk over the breakfast table the next morning.)

As for Taylor Swift: Heard her sing pre-game at Dodger Stadium a few years ago. Seems like a nice young lady who likes to sing. But I've never bought any of her CDs or downloaded any of her tunes. Don't think I could even name one of her tunes.

Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: