Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Jazz Alley
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz Alley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yebdox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Jazz Alley Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of heading to Seattle this weekend with my wife and best guitar playing buddy and his wife, to catch the Ford/Landau/Haslip/Novak conglomeration for the late set on friday and both sets saturday. Really wonderful stuff! I've seen Robben 25 or 30 times over the last 30 years, 3 or 4 times at Jazz Alley. He played great, as usual and it was fun to hear some new stuff off the new album (which is out in March, he said). Especially wonderful to hear Landau, who is soooo tasteful and surprising.... I've been a fan forever, but this is only the second time I've gotten to hear him in a club (although maybe with James Taylor a few years back)... last time was with Robben as well, 2 or 3 years ago at Jazz Alley.

Landau had most of his typical small pedal board gear and was playing through a Hot Rod Deville(!) - I didn't get a chance to ask the tech (not Daved) if it was modified, or not. At times, Mike was a bit low in the mix, but he had plenty of volume if he needed it. Great stuff, and such a great contrast and foil for Robben. They clearly were having fun, especially the last set on saturday night. Landau is like a slightly wicked tone elf - constantly riding his tone and volume controls, switching pickups between phrases several times on the same solo... really a Master of the Stratocaster!

Jimmy Haslip played incredibly well, so supportive and tasteful, took a few wonderful and very melodic solos. Novak was hot, maybe occasionally overplayed to a very slight degree, but was clearly having fun... nice solos, and wrote one of the tunes.... had a section in 5/4, very nice tune, and a great player overall (who am I to find fault?)

Landau sang 2 or 3 of his own tunes each set to Robben's 4 or 5. Killer versions of Oasis, especially, but not too many old standbys. Opened with Just Like It Is on all the sets I heard, and closed a couple with Spoonful. Robben was happy to let Mike take the spotlight on a few tunes without soloing himself.

We were staying at the same hotel up the street and ran into Robben and Jimmy when we were going out to eat. Jimmy was gracious and Robben was polite but private, as he has always been when I've tried to say hi. I suspect that he would prefer just to play at this point in his life and not deal with fans so much. I supposed we can be a tiresome lot... it's probably hard to tell the gracious fans (I hope we are!) from the ones who latch on, so probably best to keep the shields up and on full power in unknown territory.

After reading Daved's recent comments about a change in direction for Robben this year, I get the sense that trying to keep a band and a schedule up in the air year after year mostly by yourself when you are artistically but maybe not commercially as successful as we would all wish, might get tiring. He would probably rather be paid incredibly well and have plenty of time to stay home with his wife, write and record with his peers and just travel when he feels like it. I don't know, but I certainly wish the best for him and hope that he can afford to do exactly what he wants to do in life, if not now, then in the very near future. His writing and playing have always inspired me and I don't need a personal connection with an artist to have a successful relationship with their music, but it is fun when it happens.

Anyway, great stuff from our hero and his compadres, well worth the 600 mile round trip. I hope Jazz Alley remains successful for years to come, they manage to support some stellar musicians, Robben among them.
BAIR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Jazz Alley Reply with quote

Just got back from the Sunday show at Jazz Alley. WOOOOOWWW. What a set. Close to 2 hrs of rippen it up with blistering riff coming from 2 sides. Robben and Michael blew me away. Puttin down solo's with Rock, Blues, Jazz etc. influance, and just pure emotion. A perfect balance of guitars, with a bass and drums chasers. Jimmy put down a bass solo that had me jumping out of my chair and thrusting my fist in the air. And Gary did his thing too.
Well the set started out with JUST LIKE IT IS, then WHAT'S UP. But they were just warming up. The rest of the night was song after song from there new album (Bands Name- Renegade Creation) there going to release in March. Don't be surprised if Robben And Michael sneak in a song from Tigar Walk. So everyone go see them Live you won't be dissapointed. Seeing this band Live will cure you ills Please NO PHOTO's
at the shows
AlChuck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegade Creation? I thought they were being billed as Trial By Fire.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Video from KZOK-FM Reply with quote

Thanks for the reviews! It's been great to read about these shows.

There's a cool video from a radio station appearance (The Bob Rivers show). The link is:

http://www.bobrivers.com/#v10589
gill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: great tune Reply with quote

check out roadwarriors link for ford and landau on bob rivers radio show. cool tune. very melodic and chord changes are very cool.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more videos from Bob Rivers' studio:

http://www.bobrivers.com/#v10580 (last week)
http://www.bobrivers.com/#v10000 (Aug 6, with Bill Evans)

Very Happy
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ! Great clips, thanks for the links.
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you watch or listen through these links? I can get to the RF/ML but nothing plays, do I need to sign up or something?

R.
gill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: bob rivers show Reply with quote

i think you have to have latest version of quicktime. and maybe register. it seems like i did that a whie back. any one else have the answer.
PierreL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to register, it's certainly a matter of codec or plugin in your browser.
BAIR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Jazz Alley Reply with quote

Question: (Renegade Creation? I thought they were being billed as Trial By Fire.)

What Robben said was there was some problems using Trial By Fire. And so I checked online and sure enough there's a band in New Jersey called TRIAL BY FIRE.
So at this time it sounds like there calling themselves RENEGADE CREATION Now they played a new tune Sunday night at Jazz Alley called RENEGADE. Mike and Robben dueling in there own ways made this tune kick a##. I hope the band keeps us informed on Name and Release of CD. Tt will be a must bought CD

PEACE
BAIR
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Play the Rainbow? Reply with quote

What is meant by "Play the Rainbow"? Is it a phrase that Robben and Mike use to describe a certain type of playing, or is it a song title? I've seen it used once before in a musical context to mean "making it vivid".
AlChuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it meant what it is you do when you have a gig at the Rainbow...
SuperReverb2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat through both Saturday night shows at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley. Rick Wheeler (usually Carlton's Tech) was doing the tech/sound for the show. Got to talk to him a bit, and managed to hang out with Landau and Novak after the second show for a drink or two. Even one of Robben Ford's brothers was there doing the drum tech work. (his name escapes me right now) KILLER, KILLER shows! The first show was great, the second show was even better. Great trades between Ford and Landau. Each played with respect for the other. Very cool to watch and listen to. Landau had a couple of show stopper solos in the second set. There was talk of an album (I believe in the spirng) with this group. Hope so. I'd buy it in heartbeat.

Smile

Super Reverb, Carol-Ann 100 watt 6L6 combo, Bludotone 100 watt head and 2 x 12 cabinet.

Malekko Spring Chicken, Malekko Spring Chicken Limited Edition, Hermida Reverb,
T-Rex Room Mate, TC Electronics 2290

OKKO Diablo, Burnetti Amps Mercury Box, Skeddy Srewdriver, FET Dream, Wampler Super Ecstasy.

Furman Power Factor Pro

Van Den Hul Cables

V-Picks
AlChuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperReverb2 wrote:
... Even one of Robben Ford's brothers was there doing the drum tech work. (his name escapes me right now)

That's Patrick Ford, drummer in the Ford Brothers Band. Saw him at Yoshi's too, thought maybe he was just there to hang with his brother while he was playing a nearby venue, but he did appear to be on the crew...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: