Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - CHARLES FORD BAND
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHARLES FORD BAND

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAIR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: CHARLES FORD BAND Reply with quote

Just picked up this little Jem. This album is a must have. Hearing early Robben and Mark rip it up. It must of been great to see them live in the early 70's. I know all I had to do is here the 1st sone (Blue and Lonesome) and I was hooked. Robbens vocals were great then. His voice over the years hasn't change much. And his early jazz and blues rifs and chord changes laid the groundwork to his great success.
Everyone of the songs on this album are killer. Mark's Harp playing was what you want to hear from a true great harp player. And Robbens guitar work is truly amazing. Kinda wonder what guitar and amp set-up he used then. (experts chime in here). And the backbone Patrick and Stanley balance the album just right. Buy the album if you can. (much better sounding) than the CD.
PEACE ON YOUR JOURNEY'S AND GOD BLESS
BAIR
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the Arhoolie record?

I saw the Ford Blues Band was advertised to play the St. John's Blues Fest last weekend. I didn't see any dates for Florida. Someday....
BAIR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: CHARLES FORD BAND Reply with quote

YES. That's the one.
I truly great album. I pure classic. So Young but so Talented then. I like to hear the early years of all bands. I was just starting to listen to music at 13 yrs old ('71) But I was listening to cra# then. Not the true music in Jazz and Blues. Took me until the 80's to explore the past music experiences of the 60's and early 70's

PEACE
BAIR
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: 1980 Japan ~ Robben's Blues Reply with quote

If you love Robben's early music, you will enjoy this new video I found on youtube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60yhIb2_Smo

I love it !!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
BAIR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: CHARLES FORD BAND Reply with quote

HOLLY CRA# What a video.
Keep them coming. The early years are awsome.
After Robbens solo. I don't know why the crowd wasn't cheering there ass off. I'm giving this video DOUBLE WOW 2 THUMBS UP

PEACE

BAIR
Metrodome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: The Charles Ford Band Reply with quote

Robben used a Gibson L5 through a Fender Bassman,had a Guild Starfire before that.The Super 400 and the Super reverb was with Witherspoon.The Ford Blues Band of today is a totally diffrent line up.Patrick is the only original member.The Charles Ford Band with the Ford brothers Mark, Patrick,Robben,Stan Poplin and Michael Osborn were a Blues super group in the Bay Area (San Francisco) though they were only together for a couple of years.It would have great to see what these guys would have done if they stayed together.Muddy Waters and Chess records signed them but the band split up.They all went there seperate ways.They do have Charles Ford Band reunion concerts every 5 to 10 years,still waiting for the next one.We saw Stan last Sunday in Santa Cruz,Hes still playing bass I occasionally get a lesson from him.I have a original Charles Ford Band Album signed by all the original members,and a shirt from ther 1982 reunion concert that Chris Cain gave me.I can listen this album over and over so great.Glad to see others are interested in it.Such raw energy these guys where on fire!
jconstant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Japan ~ Robben's Blues Reply with quote

roadwarriorfortheblues wrote:
If you love Robben's early music, you will enjoy this new video I found on youtube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60yhIb2_Smo

I love it !!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Darn, deleted before I could see it.
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Charles Ford Band Reply with quote

Metrodome wrote:
They do have Charles Ford Band reunion concerts every 5 to 10 years,still waiting for the next one....

It would be great to see a reunion concert and I hope they will promote it beforehand, if they decide to do one. Personally, I think mid-August of 2010 would be a great time for a reunion tour. Very Happy Question
Metrodome

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: The Charles Ford Band Reunion Reply with quote

Here is a couple cool videos of the reunion at The San Francisco Blues Festival.1982.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq7toYdREzY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKggNHRFIk8
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Great videos. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: