Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Anybody knows, why Robben stopped playin' the Fender Esprit
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody knows, why Robben stopped playin' the Fender Esprit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
follow_the_music

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Anybody knows, why Robben stopped playin' the Fender Esprit Reply with quote

Hi,
Does anybody know the story, why Robben stopped playin' and endorsing the Robben Ford CS models? What happend? The Esprit was such a long time his trademark and, beside his Tele, the guitar he was always seen with.
frank0936

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Esprit Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Robben asked for some changes to the guitar, but was not happy with the way the results. I believe you can find more out if you do a search here. It was probably on Daved's page.
Frank
Danny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow_the_music, do you have any more pics of your avatar?
"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan
follow_the_music

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Esprit Reply with quote

frank0936 wrote:
If I remember correctly, Robben asked for some changes to the guitar, but was not happy with the way the results. I believe you can find more out if you do a search here. It was probably on Daved's page.
Frank

Thanks frank, I did some research on Daved's page, but didn't find much. Would be interesting also, what happened to the old japanese Esprits Robben owned.

@danny: yes, shure I got some pictures. have to post them on photobucket or some like that.
jconstant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Esprit Reply with quote

follow_the_music wrote:
frank0936 wrote:
Frank

Thanks frank, I did some research on Daved's page, but didn't find much. Would be interesting also, what happened to the old japanese Esprits Robben owned.

@danny: yes, shure I got some pictures. have to post them on photobucket or some like that.

I have one of those guitars and I had it with me at a clinic of Robben's (the somewhat well known clinic where we ended up having it in his living room). He asked me about mine and mentioned that he played a regular old MIJ version just like mine. He said, "I really miss that guitar". Then he added, "I played it so much eventually, I just....played it away...'
follow_the_music

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that must have been a great clinic and a lot of fun and inspiration.

I heard sometimes about guitars getting tired and dead, when they where played really a lot. Also refretting gets difficult more and more. Plus sometimes you just need something new and different, as your playin' and your touch changes. Sometimes a change of pickups does it too: I recently put a pair of old Fralins in my Esprit Standard, it was like having a new guitar... really great pickups. Round, balanced and juicy.
Jon07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be completely wrong but I was under the impression that Gene Baker was the main designer for the Robben Ford signature Esprit and that when he left Fender, Robben went with him and started using Baker guitars for a while (although I think Gene sold the business in the end which may be why Robben moved again). Could be totally wrong though (not the first time ;-)
Redback

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon07 wrote:
I could be completely wrong but I was under the impression that Gene Baker was the main designer for the Robben Ford signature Esprit and that when he left Fender, Robben went with him and started using Baker guitars for a while (although I think Gene sold the business in the end which may be why Robben moved again). Could be totally wrong though (not the first time ;-)

Hi Jon,

Yeah, as you suspected, that isn't actually correct.. here's a quick summary of the background. The original guitar that would eventually become the RF model was commissioned in the early 80's by Dan Smith, while he was at Yamaha.

Dan was in discussion with Robben about a double cut away hybrid of a Strat and a Les Paul. (Robben apparently just wanted a smaller, more comfortable guitar to replace his 335) When Dan Smith moved to Fender, he took the project with him. The original prototype(s) were done by John Carruthers of Venice, CA. The design was finalized and they were aware Fender did not have the production facilities to build the guitars in volume, so Ibanez Japan were contracted to build them under the Fender brand.

Mr. Baker got involved much later and is more closely associated with the RF model once it became a Fender Custom Shop product. Baker eventually left Fender to start his own brand, with considerable knowledge and obvious influence from the RF product.

FWIW: John Carruthers continues to make a Chambered Double Cutaway that might well be considered an evolved version of the RF Model (my summation not his), called a CSA for Chambered Semi Acoustic. http://www.carruthersguitars.com
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Carruthers guitars are amazing BTW! Much better than any RF model I have ever played.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: