Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Ford Borthers in Mendocino County
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford Borthers in Mendocino County

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big al

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Ford Borthers in Mendocino County Reply with quote

Robben and the Ford Brothers Band are scheduled to play around here, Robben's home town, this fall. Not sure if both Pat and Mark are playing, Pat for sure. Will add details as I hear them.

http://www.navarrogeneralstore.com/EventsCalender.html

Navarro is close to the coast on Hwy 128. Beautiful outdoors venue in the Redwood Forrest. Would make a great northern California getaway weekend!

See you there,
Alan
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travelled out West to see the Ford Brothers Band last summer. The shows were great! If I lived on West Coast I'd be going to every show.
PaulG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Al. Man, what a perfect trip this would be!!
You live in beautiful country.

Let us know if any other FBB shows will be scheduled.
bassjack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ford Bros Band, with Robben but no Mark - Andy Just on harp, have just been announced for Sept. 14th at the Sierra Nevada Big Room in Chico. The Band must be doing a series of shows in NorCal, apparently.
PaulG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe these are the Ford Bros gigs this fall:
9/14 - Sierra Nevada, Chico (see above)
9/16 - Last Day Saloon, Santa Rosa
9/17 - Navarro Store, Navarro (see above)
9/18 - Throckmorten Theater - Marin

Go see them!
bassjack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight begins the short Ford Brothers Blues Band swing through Nor Cal. I'll be at the brewery tonight...anybody else going? Very Happy
PaulG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ - I can't make this tour, but sure wish I could.
Please let us know how it went.

Enjoy the show!
bassjack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show update!

Great show last night...very playful and loose between everyone. Last time Robben was here he was with Renegade and of course that set was very structured and arranged. Last night could not have been more opposite, but this is typically the Ford Blues Band approach when I've seen them.

Tunes included Indianola, Help the Poor, Strong Will, and others that I recognized but don't know the titles off the top of my head. Andy sang a couple as did Volker - he did Pat's Another Fine Day. The encore was pretty interesting in that when they came back out they huddled up, obviously working out an arrangement. I thought Robben was laying out a new tune but it turned out to be Talk To Your Daughter, but done in this slow shuffle feel (think JJ Cale's approach to tunes). It was killer!

All the arrangements and breaks, etc were done on the fly with smiles and laughs all around. Robben was very talkative between the tunes and even smiled at one guy down in front taking his pic with his camera phone (no flash). I most appreciate his musicianship in this configuration.

OK, the tech stuff. Played the SG all night...no other guitar in sight. Two Rock amp (2x12 cab with amp on top), Volker played the same amp configuration tho don't know if it was the same model. He played a 'burst LP the whole set. The SG was definitely darker sounding (I'm a tele guy) but I got used to it quickly. No Wah, but I thought I spotted the Zendrive and maybe a MXR somethingorother.

Three more shows in this mini tour...I just might travel to the coast to see 'em on Saturday!

Jack
roadwarriorfortheblues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the show review, Jack. The Ford Blues Band rules! Together 40+ years and still adventurous as newly weds Very Happy . Hard to believe their release on Arhoolie Records will celebrate its 40th anniversary next year.

It's cool that TTYD is being reincarnated again. Who covered vocals? The Ford Blues Band has recorded so many great songs and you never know what songs they'll dust off. One thing for sure, they are ALL wonderfully talented musicians. Although it's been a while since they've released anything new, it's great to see them touring and having fun and making great Blues music. I saw them last summer ('10) in Modesto, and San Jose, and Petaluma (I think?). It was a great trip and I loved every show. The crowds were great too -- appreciative and wild for the blues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: