Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - RF May No Longer Be Willing to Gig
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RF May No Longer Be Willing to Gig
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: RF May No Longer Be Willing to Gig Reply with quote

From FaceBook:

Anne Kerry Ford: "Nerium, the wonderful company that has allowed me to retire my husband within eight months of being a Brand Partner...."

David Lawrence: "Is Robben quitting music for good ? Say no please. No more music from him ? I love his playing !!!"

Anne Kerry Ford: "He'll always play music, but the grueling life of obligatory gigs that aren't interesting to him is over."
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, he may still gig but he'll be more picky about the ones he'll make.
gill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: retirement Reply with quote

good for Robben. Retiring from the road is very cool. Pick the shows you want to do. make recordings when you want and enjoy life with family and friends. Im the same age and im retiring from running a printing press 35 years. Ill still play guitar and write music and enjoy the years i have left. Robben has given us all years of great music !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THAT YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE WORLD LIBRARY OF MUSIC. take care
Linville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds kinda like the same move Clapton made years back. I remember thinkin,"Oh S#$T, ill never see him play if he quits!" but he still plays, especially his Crossroads deal.
PierreL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really get this sentence though :

Anne Kerry Ford: "Nerium, the wonderful company that has allowed me to retire my husband within eight months of being a Brand Partner...."

Could somebody explain it to me ?
ayan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL wrote:
I don't really get this sentence though :

Could somebody explain it to me ?

I believe what Anne means is that the Nerium business has allowed her to make enough money to where Robben is no longer forced to gig excessively to pay the bills by himself.

Gil
frank0936

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Robben retiring? Reply with quote

Anne is a wonderful singer, but maybe she got tired of that life also? I would guess that Robben may be putting more effort into his teaching and much less into gigging. It wasn't that long ago that he said he was no longer interested in fronting a band. I do hope Robben continues his teaching videos. He has been on the road for a long time, and travel has gotten increasingly stressful for everyone. I hope this decision will bring him happiness. Thanks Robben for the years you have given us. My only regret is that I never got to see you perform a concert live.
Frank
Bill Morgan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This month in NYC, next month in San Francisco, back to NYC in January, then touring for the new album from February to May ... when does the retirement start? Laughing

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: retirement? Reply with quote

There's hope yet!
Frank
tedro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Morgan wrote:
This month in NYC, next month in San Francisco, back to NYC in January, then touring for the new album from February to May ... when does the retirement start? Laughing

Bill
right after that? sounds like about 8 months...oh, i see, mb i read that wrong. sounds wild to me.
Buffaloe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robben has probably made enough money over the years, and certainly has the rep to be able to play anywhere, anytime he wants. Say he decides he'd like to get out of Ojai for a week and go play Yoshi's. You think they'll say, nah, not interested, you're retired. Fat chance. Good on you Robben. Thank you for the two master classes I was able to attend in Ojai and all the great innovative music you've made over the years. Take Anne to the south of France for a couple of months this spring and relax and enjoy some great wine. You and I are the same age and I'm enjoying being retired after working my ass off for 40 years. Thank you for letting me inside your head a little in Ojai. I can't play like you, but your ideas sure broke me out of my box.
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: gigging Reply with quote

Buffaloe! Good to see you posting. Are you still in Memphis?
Frank
Buffaloe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in Melmfus getting older and dumber,
edpesco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Birthday Reply with quote

As far as I remember today is Robben's birthday, 61 I suppose; HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Robben may retire as much as he wants as long as he still comes to Europe :-) Just got the announcement of him playing with Larry Goldings on July 3rd in Zurich, just one hour from my place. Great future ....should we survive Dec 21... :-)
PierreL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed ! Happy to see you here, it's been some time since you last posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: