Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - New Jing Chi is Available for PrePurch.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Jing Chi is Available for PrePurch.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: New Jing Chi is Available for PrePurch. Reply with quote

It's called Supremo.
Finally!
Yay!
frank0936

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: New Jing Che Reply with quote

That's great news!
jbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: First Impression Reply with quote

Been listening on Spotify...it's different.
Has horns...
Some of the writing sounds sorta like Chicago meets "A Day in Nashville with Some Guys Who Used to be in Jing Chi."
Not as edgy/open as prior releases.
I need to give it a few rotations, and then an opinion. Don't want to say what I think now as everyone should listen without prejudging based upon my first impression...good or bad.
PierreL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First Impression Reply with quote

jbear wrote:
Been listening on Spotify...it's different.
Has horns...
Some of the writing sounds sorta like Chicago meets "A Day in Nashville with Some Guys Who Used to be in Jing Chi."
Not as edgy/open as prior releases.
I need to give it a few rotations, and then an opinion. Don't want to say what I think now as everyone should listen without prejudging based upon my first impression...good or bad.

Kind of agree with you, Jbear.
The Chicago meets "A Day in Nashville with Some Guys Who Used to be in Jing Chi." is spot on.
I enjoy listening to it, but so far I haven't found anything memorable in it, be it the songs or the playing.
jbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Second half... Reply with quote

...seems stronger so far.
Really liked" On Green Pepper Street," but...no guitar.
Some stronger guitar work on the later half.
A couple new tones...not for me, but...it's not my record.
Hopefully it'll grow on me...if not...I'll play my own stuff. In fact...some of these sound like backing tracks...might just play along Cool
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing tracks... that's it, exactly.

The new tones are from the POG, a pedal from Electro Harmonix. Not my cup of tea either, in that context anyway.
AndyR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sample tracks sound rather intriguing, I *like* horns!

Very Happy

-Andy
jbear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: A few more times through... Reply with quote

First...again...it's not my record and the artist has every right to pursue his or her vision. My opinion has absolutely no value other than to me. So...I'm just a fan who is venting.
The last track...Jing Xi...fantastic solo...beautifully unpredictable...bluesy and never boring (an RF signature), but...totally buried by whatever that pedal is...UGGGGH! I love Wayne Krantz too, and it drives me nuts when he goes all "ring modulator." It's his right to do it...I get that.
I am listening to the first two Jing Chi recordings and every tune is "role model standard" for phrasing, pace, and tone. This album is not. I keep waiting for something to wow me, and it's just not doing that. I do like the horns, and I do like most of the tunes, but I keep waiting for them to lead somewhere...any moment...and...end track. Next tune...same thing.
There are definitely some nice moments, and I am going to keep listening, but as a guitarist...I was hoping for more. Different is cool...evolving is great, but...play! Oh...and please throw that pedal away Confused
I'm still going to listen to everything this guy plays...just getting it out of my system. Wink
frank0936

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: new sound Reply with quote

I never bought the last album, because I heard a track or two on satellite radio and it just didn't "grab me" at all. As you said, jbear, it's an artist's right to evolve, but I sure miss the Blue Line days. When I first heard "Talk to your Daughter" I knew I had found the kind of music I wanted to hear. There was no question that I would buy everything that Robben did - even hunting up the older stuff that I had missed - but lately I'm just not feeling that any more. It's a shame, but it happens. An artist follows his muse and sometimes it leads away from what his fans want to hear. I still respect his musicianship.
jbear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Yes...absolutely... Reply with quote

...much respect!
I wouldn't be the player that I am without RF, Scott Henderson, Alan Holdsworth, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Pat Metheny, Jeff Beck, Keith Emerson, Stan Getz, et al., but...with limited exception...there's always something that isn't going to be my favorite.
I felt similarly when Ford departed from Jazz/Blues and went more Blues/Jazz with vocals, but it grew on me...the tone and phrasing were still there.
Hopefully this will too.
I listened again...a couple more tracks that I like, but another with an awesome solo that's obliterated by that pedal. So...I think without that pedal...I'd really like most of this recording. With it...it frustrates me.
My problem.
PierreL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you jbear.

Maybe something to heal our souls, as there is a new Jerry Granelli recording out tomorrow featuring Bill Frisell and Robben Ford :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Robben-Frisell-Anthony-Granelli/dp/B0753RW5TY

And I would not be surprised if there was a new CD on the way with his current touring band, as they seem to play some new stuff.
jbear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: On Green Pepper Street Reply with quote

Beautiful song...Green Pepper Street... some guitar happening would have made me very happy. Still...I dig it and the piano work is tasty.
Guitar player life is hard😎
PierreL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A whole buch of good quality videos from the current tour, PAsadena show, here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcpWFlQzRQ&list=PLODaFH8MEB-Ry8AbqA2YWWrQRQraEk-yZ

With the dreaded POG on a few solos... I don't get the use of this pedal in this context either. If he was playing hardcore fusion, or even modern jazz, I would understand. But in a bluesier context ? Doesn't work for me.
Other that that the band is cool and he plays great.
jbear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: New Album from this Group? Reply with quote

I wonder if there will be a release with that band? I like the tunes overall.
Sure hope he passes through this POG phase quickly.
$50,000 Dumble amp tone...turned into oatmeal through the magic of circuitry Crying or Very sad
PierreL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Smile That's about it indeed. He could play directly through the board with this kind of tone (John Mc Laughlin style).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: