Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Toronto based Robben freak
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toronto based Robben freak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitar-head

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Toronto based Robben freak Reply with quote

Hi,

I just joined today after seeing Robben Friday in Toronto and Saturday in Buffalo! Both were amazing shows!

I am a 45 year old guitar nut and have been playing for 30 years. I have a number of electrics including a Fender Flame (precurser to the Robben Ford signature model) and a Tele I built from Warmoth parts with Fralin pickups. I am currently at work on a Warmoth Strat with Fender Texas Specials. At present I am a one amp guy with a Fender Blues Deluxe. Hopefully that will be changing soon - to a Dr. Z Route 66 if I can swing it. I just re-tubed the Deluxe with new JJ's -- Bob Pletkin at Eurotubes is a good guy and very helpful -- thanks. So far they sound great and have added missing warmth to this budget amp.

I have been listening to Robben for over 10 years, ever since my guitar teacher turned me on to him. His combination of amazingly fluid chops and inspired note choice does it for me. I rate Robben as my favorite guitar player.

It's great to be a part of this forum. I look forward to communicating with all of you!

Cheers!
Cal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I'm in Toronto as well. 42 and playing about 30 years as well. Saw the show at the Horsehoe and loved it.

I have a bunch of guitars but main ones are a 73 strat and a 92 Les Paul Standard. Amp wise, a 70's silverface Pro Reverb and a Fuchs Overdrive Special -- a mod of a re-issue vibrolux.

How was the Buffalo show? I heard you can actually sit at the Tralf.

Cal
guitar-head

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cal,

What is the Fuch's like? I've heard good things. Yes, you can sit at the Tralf. It's an excellent room with terrific acoustics and not a bad site line in the place -- very civilized compared to the Horseshoe.

Robben played exactly the same set. It would be hard to tell them apart blindfolded. I would have thought he would mix it up a bit by covering a few different tunes. His playing was effortless and tasty as always.

Take care,
Don
Cal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

The Fuchs is nice. You can hear every note no matter how much gain. It is a mod of a re-ssue Vibrolux so the speakers are the 2x 10s that came with the cabinet. I'm not convinced they are doing it justice. I must say I like it a lot.

Do you manage to get much jamming in around TO?

Cal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: