Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Singer Robben Ford
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singer Robben Ford
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edpesco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Singer Robben Ford Reply with quote

Everybody talks about Robben's marvellous playing and guitar sound so I want to talk about his qualities as a singer.
First of all: I like his voice, this is always a matter of taste but I like it. It's a very caractaristic voice which he controls perfectly. Only drawback: he doesn't have a sick, rotten voice from centuries of smoking tons of black cigars and drinking lakes of whiskey, his voice is clean and healthy, bet his larynx looks like a picture from 12 year old boy in an anatomy book.
His technical skills are excellent, he hits every note of hard to sing tunes in every live situation. Everybody who ever tried to sing his tunes will say yourerighteddy. Exclamation
PierreL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnrightyouareteddy
Leftbender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really find Robben a typical blues singer, and sometimes I miss that a little in his classic blues songs. But on the other hand if he wasn't that allround he couldn't sing all the other fantastic songs! So yourerighteddy!! And don't forget he has improved over the years!!!
marinblues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say that he has improved tremendously over the years. He has become a fine singer.

He is unfortunate that people expect his singing to match his guitar playing abilities.

Only Benson comes close to something like that.

Marin

________
Mexico Hotels

Last edited by marinblues on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
juspasinby2003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Singer Robben Ford Reply with quote

edpesco wrote:
Everybody talks about Robben's marvellous playing and guitar sound so I want to talk about his qualities as a singer.
First of all: I like his voice, this is always a matter of taste but I like it. It's a very caractaristic voice which he controls perfectly. Only drawback: he doesn't have a sick, rotten voice from centuries of smoking tons of black cigars and drinking lakes of whiskey, his voice is clean and healthy, bet his larynx looks like a picture from 12 year old boy in an anatomy book.
His technical skills are excellent, he hits every note of hard to sing tunes in every live situation. Everybody who ever tried to sing his tunes will say yourerighteddy. Exclamation

Don't want to burst your bubble, but Robben tells me that he used to smoke cigarettes - not heavily, but daily as a habit.

I happen to find his voice very soulful and mellifluous. Wish I could sing as well!
telefunk1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Ed, as usual. As I recall, in more than one interview Robben says he has focused more in recent years on his vocal development than guitar playing. And I think it shows - he is a better singer than he used to be. Good reminder than he is much more than just another hot picker.
edpesco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Singer Robben Ford Reply with quote

juspasinby2003 wrote:

Don't want to burst your bubble, but Robben tells me that he used to smoke cigarettes - not heavily, but daily as a habit.

No bubble bursting, never said he was a saint, but he can't have smoked more than 5 cigarettes per day, and perhaps one whiskey. Or if he really abused those things he has got tremendous genes Very Happy
juspasinby2003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Singer Robben Ford Reply with quote

edpesco wrote:
juspasinby2003 wrote:

No bubble bursting, never said he was a saint, but he can't have smoked more than 5 cigarettes per day, and perhaps one whiskey. Or if he really abused those things he has got tremendous genes Very Happy

Actually, that's exactly how many per day he did say he smoked a long time ago. Excellent surmise!
jconstant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telefunk1 wrote:
Good point, Ed, as usual. As I recall, in more than one interview Robben says he has focused more in recent years on his vocal development than guitar playing. And I think it shows - he is a better singer than he used to be. Good reminder than he is much more than just another hot picker.

The first time I saw Robben at the Coach House in SJC, CA after the show he bummed a smoke from my friend that I brought to the show with me. That was a long time ago and I think he's gotten into taking good care of himself now. He even said to a few of us as we left for lunch from his clinic that he's a vegetarian.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aeolian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who's basic attraction to Robben is his singing, although she enjoys the guitar playing as well. He favorite song is "Start It Up" from awhile back. It is the phrasing and feel that does it. Although Robben's voice has gotten rounder in the upper registers as he works on it, he always had the emotional content.
BlueRunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool With each CD release over the past four or five years Robben's voice has seemed to get stronger, more dynamic and (quite frankly) more interesting. So it wasn't a big surprise when he mentioned at this past October's clinic that he's been working with an operatic vocal coach down in L.A.
marinblues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeolian wrote:
I have a friend who's basic attraction to Robben is his singing, although she enjoys the guitar playing as well. He favorite song is "Start It Up" from awhile back. It is the phrasing and feel that does it. Although Robben's voice has gotten rounder in the upper registers as he works on it, he always had the emotional content.

I agree. He always used to get the notes right. No doubts about that. I also like his voice on Sunrise and Discovering the blues. However, his voice "tone" and range has simply got even better over the years.

I just thought that he deserved a few words of praise for his efforts.

Marin
________
New Jersey Dispensary

Last edited by marinblues on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mudboneblue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too find that Robbens voice has improved with age in terms of pitch, strength, emotion, feeling, he's got the whole nine yards covered! Can you imagine being able to sing, and play, guitar like Robben at the same time. My God!! I could entertain myself all year long. From his love songs to his ass kicking blues tunes, he is simply "captivating" . In my view, Robben is one of most talented musicians I have ever come across in my life. In my opinion, he is a much better singer and guitar player than, say in 1988. His voice, fingers, and song writing abilites have aged and matured like a fine bottle of Glenlivet!!!
elizabeth
Robben Fan #1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Uh-oh Reply with quote

...never had Glenlivet! I think I need to get out more often!

iamthewalrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Robben's Voice Reply with quote

No doubt Robben's vocals have improved significantly over the years. I think I mentioned this in another post but here it is again: when I took my son-in-law to see Robben for his first time last year (at the Coach House in SJC) he came away completely enchanted by Robben's voice. That's the best adjective I can use since he's a hardcore SRV fan and guitar freak and was completely dismissive of Robben until that evening; he was totally knocked over by Robben's vocals. That evening taught me an imortant lesson.

Cheers,

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Control freak. Now you say "control freak who."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> Robben Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: