Robben Ford Discussion :: View topic - Daved, any single-coil noise issues with Robben's Tele???
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through this link.
Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index

Robben Ford Discussion
The Official Robben Ford Discussion Group

www.RobbenFord.com
All Access Pass

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daved, any single-coil noise issues with Robben's Tele???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimfog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Daved, any single-coil noise issues with Robben's Tele??? Reply with quote

Hey Daved,
Thanks for your participation on this site!

I've always wondered.........how do touring pro guitarists deal with that nasty single-coil HUMMMM? Obviously, many go for noiseless, or active set-ups........but personally, I find most of them lacking. Robben's tele is all vintage (and vintage style) pickups, and I imagine the power and light sources are not always optimal in all the venues you guys play.....so how much of an issue is this?

I know I just tend to put up with a certain amount of noise, and use my volume control a lot when I'm not playing........same with Robben? After using many other single-coil p'ups, noiseless and otherwise, I'm just NOT giving up my Fralins!

Real curious on your thoughts on this....

Thanks,
Daved
Robben Connection

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, single coil noise can be a problem. I have worked with many artists who use a variety of means to deal with it.... gates, active circuitry, etc. But these create their own set of problems or parameters that need to be adjusted for and one inevitably ends up 'chasing his tail'.

I just mess with AC sources, grounds & lifts, and gear placement to get the clearest signals I can.

Robben himself has 2 solutions. One is the one you mention... just dealing with it and working his volume controls. The other is, in the severest cases, using a different guitar. Robben loves his mid 50's Les Paul, but we rarely take it on the road as it can be virtually unusable in some venues. We COULD shield it or alter it in a number of ways, but Robben prefers that it's integrity remain untampered with, so he preserves it for studio use almost exclusively.

"This boy's diseased with rhythm!" -Bing Crosby (Road To Rio, '49)
Leftbender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I do not have a guitar tech, I use the Boss TU2 floor tuner. You can connect it in a way that is disconnects while tuning. I also use it in this way when I'm not playing on the stage and when I have to change my guitar. When pressed there is no hum or noise anymore. Laughing
Ian Hurtt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from a Newbie!

I use a combination of a noise gate and the volume control on the guitar to handle the hum. But, I use several different guitars, and I really only have problems with my Fender Tele Jr. with P90's. Howver, I love the tone too much to change anything.

Ian
edpesco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leftbender wrote:
As I do not have a guitar tech, I use the Boss TU2 floor tuner. You can connect it in a way that is disconnects while tuning. I also use it in this way when I'm not playing on the stage and when I have to change my guitar. When pressed there is no hum or noise anymore. Laughing

Thanks for the hint, I finally got rid of my volume pedal now that I used only to turn volume down for tuning, I've always had problems that I occasionally touched it and suddenly the sound was gone because the pedal was halfway down and I didn't find it out.
Aeolian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having two different volume controls can get confusing. How many folks are using a volume pedal and still play with the guitar knobs? Ever turn the guitar back up in the heat of battle and wonder what was wrong? Then remember that thing on the floor? Wink
jaybee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: volume control Reply with quote

I use my volume control a lot to control dynamics and overdrive, but as an alltime strat player I found iit difficult to do the same with my Epiphone Sheraton. solution: a volume pedal - I use a BOSS pedal, that I can set up so that in the 'off' position there still is sound, volume at about 33% = ideal for rhythm. then when I have a solo, I can push the amp harder.

as far as accidentally stepping on it... it happens, buthen again, when I turn up or down on the strat, I sometimes pass the point where I want to be too... just go and fix it and keep on playing Wink
________
Silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited by jaybee on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
edpesco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeolian wrote:
Ever turn the guitar back up in the heat of battle and wonder what was wrong? Then remember that thing on the floor? Wink

That's what I mean
marinblues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Kinman Reply with quote

For single coil noise issues, check out Kinman pickups from Australia ( www.kinman.com).

Forget Fender Noiseless or any other noiseless stuff that's out there, these pups are something else.

Apart from being noiseless, they are simply exceptional single coil pickups.

marin

________
Lolol

Last edited by marinblues on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
StratCat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re volume controls - I've used a floor based volume pedal and had very few problems as far as getting confused with volume levels goes.

But, the number of times I try to *wah* using the volume pedal is ridiculous! Embarassed

re Kinman pickups - these are seriously good pickups. I've recently swapped out my EMG assembly for Kinmans in my Strat and am very happy with the results. They breathe a lot better than the EMG's and they're still very quiet; they're also head and shoulders above Lace Sensors (which I personally never liked).

Chris Kinman also used to make a strat years ago which were great guitars but stopped doing these to concentrate on pickup production. Worth getting your hands on one if you see one S/H but there probably aren't that many outside of Australia.

chris
garylamarLOUDguitar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can echo the recommendation for Kinmans. I have them on a Strat and they opened up some tones that I never really accessed before, particularly the 2 and 4 positions on the switch. They are truely quiet, as advertised. I got them from Griblin Engineering. I had him wire up a whole new pickguard with one of his custom wiring harnesses and the pick-ups. Check out his site if you'd like to know more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Robben Ford Discussion Forum Index -> The Daved Zone All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: