Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott answers your questions - round 2.20 - 1/17/11
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott answers your questions - round 2.20 - 1/17/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Scott answers your questions - round 2.20 - 1/17/11 Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your answers!!!

I am really looking forward to hear you,Jeff Berlin and Dennis Chambers on record..I am a huge fan of Dennis and Jeff...and you have been my biggest inspiration ever.Will there be covers and/or own material?

Quote:
Personally I'd rather record the music we play on the road, even if we won't earn publishing royalties. I don't have time to write for that project, and I've tried composing under pressure in the studio for the VTT records - that doesn't work for me. Victor and Steve are great musicians, but the writing on those records sounds like what it is - music written in a hurry. I'd have a lot more fun doing a covers record, and after two tours, we know the music really well.

Do you like this kind of playing/musicality?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1rAk7-rYcI

Quote:
The music itself is too inside for me, but the guy is definitely a good player.

Are you going to be at the Xotic stand at the NAMM show?

Quote:
I didn't make it to NAMM this year - I'm in the middle of the Tribal Tech record and I need every free day I can get if I'm ever going to finish it.

hey scott, finished the book and you're there, and your right, the guitar player was a sub for wayne, lol, but fear not, you're voted the best that zawinul syndicate ever have

Quote:
That's nice, but I was a million miles out of my league on that gig. I'm not my own biggest fan now - back then I couldn't play shit. I have no idea why Joe hired me. I think he asked Scofield first but couldn't afford him. Anyway, it was amazing to get the opportunity to work with such a genius, but it was also difficult to know that Joe was used to hearing Wayne play every night and nothing I played could even come close to being that good.

got a few question about joe, the book mentioned that joe never listen to anybody else records (cant remember since when, but its been a long time), i think he's too concentrate on his music and has no time for other people music, so, in your 4 years with him, is that true? he never actually play a CD (or vinyl maybe) of someone else music?

Quote:
No, he never listened to anyone else's music, but it wasn't about not having enough time - he just felt his own music was superior to everyone else's. He would hear other bands at festivals or listen to a minute of music that someone played him, but his comments afterwards were negative 99% of the time.

Hi Scott!

What are the main sonic differences you hear between the V30 and Greenbacks ? Do you think the V30 is a more versatile speaker ?

Quote:
I don't like V30's that much. They have a midrange bump which I find annoying, they make a horrible double note sound on loud high notes, and they're hairier sounding and not as smooth as Greenbacks. Just my opinion - Mike Landau uses V30's and makes them sound great. He says Greenbacks are too bright for him, and I agree, they are kind of bright, but I roll my tone down on the guitar to make up for it.

Could you please share your settings on the DSL 100 ?

Quote:
Presence 6, bass 0, mid 5, treble 0 (on an old Marshall or my Suhr, treble would be around 4 or 5, gain 6, master 6.

Do you keep the same settings on your pedals when using this amp ?

Quote:
Yes.

What are your favorite rock'n'roll bands ever ?
thnx for answering

Quote:
Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Jeff Beck Group

Hello, I know You dont listen your own records much but anyway...
How you get this beautiful resonance nasal kind of tone in "Big Girl Blues" track - is it chorus, pickups or mics?

Quote:
It's the pickups. Back then I was using Seymour Duncan 59's, and I had them in single coil mode for that tune. I know I've said in previous posts that split humbuckers are a poor substitution for single coil pickups, and in general that's true - real single coils are much fatter sounding. But on Big Girl Blues it worked - it's a thinner tone, but it sounds kind of like that funky, out of phase sound that some of the old blues guys had.

scott, some injury questions.
LOL
by the way, i hope this finds you in good health......

1. have you ever been shocked at a gig... and how severe was it, and did you smell ozone?

Quote:
No, I've been lucky on that one - I don't spend much time at the announce mic.

2. have you ever been pierced by a snapping guitar string, whilst stringing up a new set? where were you stricken?

Quote:
Lucky again.

3. have you ever injured your fretting fingers prior to a gig (either by a random knife slice, equipment edge, random loose weasel, whatever) and if so, what did you use on the injury to get thru the gig? ever used superglue?

Quote:
All the time. I'd never go on the road without it. I've used it for cuts, but the main thing it's great for is when I pull my fingernail away from my finger by doing bends with heavy strings. I put Superglue in there and it holds for a whole night.

4. what ailment almost brought you down, at the one gig that you finished, but almost cancelled on?

Quote:
Tribal Tech in San Diego. I had terrible strep throat and I played the whole gig while eating popsicles. I had about ten of them on a plate sitting on my amp. A few of them melted from the lights and my amp got oozed, so it was a mess.

5. what is the heaviest piece of equipment you've ever dropped on your foot while roadie'ing?

Quote:
No foot injuries, but I threw my back out by putting my amp in the back seat of the car on the way to the airport for a tour. By the time I got to Rome, I needed a wheelchair. Luckily we had a couple days off before the first show and it got better, but according to the doctor, my back will never be 100% again so I have to be more careful when lifting.

6. have you gotten tinitus from standing too close to a china cymbal? from your amp? from a random shot gun blast?
again, good health to you!!

Quote:
Really lucky on that one, because I did everything I could to get it. Tribal Tech was incredibly loud, and sometimes my ears would ring for the rest of the night after a show. Luckily the ringing was always gone in the morning. Now I play half the volume I did in those days.

Hey Scott,

I've been listening to your music for about 25 years and you're one of my favorite players.

Just wondering if you'll be playing in The Netherlands again anytime soon?

Quote:
I hope so - I'm touring Europe in May.

Just wanted to ask what you think about the combination of greenbacks and G12H?

Quote:
I don't know much about the H series. I tried them a few times in the past and didn't like them, but I can't remember the reason. Personally, I've never been a fan of mixing speakers in the same cabinet. The few times I tried it I thought it sounded weird, but it could've been a bad combination of speakers.

I'm playing through an Egnater Renegade head which can tube mix between EL34 and 6L6 which is quite useable.

What made you decide to use the BB Preamp? It's transparency?

Tx, Harry Maes

Quote:
I don't use a BB, I use a Maxon SD-9. There's been some confusion about that because I used the BB for one short tour and a few gigs in town, then went back to the SD-9, just like I always do when I try another distortion pedal. Since the BB, I've tried at least 20 distortion pedals just for curiosity, and the SD-9 is still on my pedal board.

Hi Scott,
this may sound a little weird, but since you're a big Shorter fan and since on pretty much every real book i've seen the transcription is wrong, can u tell me the chord progression of Pinocchio, if u know it?
Thanx a lot!

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know the real changes, and for a lot of those tunes, the only one who knows the original changes is the composer. A lot of "on the spot reharmonization" was going on during the performances, so when the Real Book guy transcribed it, his transcription might be from just one chorus of the tune, and maybe he didn't even get that right. I've found many wrong changes in the Real Books - you're right not to trust them.

Hi Scott,

The other day i came across a old Japanese copy of a Strat bridge with a aluminum block. Would you recommend replacing the steel block with the aluminum block? This is for a stat type guitar with humbuckers and a DiMarzo bridge.

Thanks,
Pete

Quote:
No, aluminum blocks sound terrible. If you want to make the guitar sound it's best, spend about 100 bucks and put a Fender Vintage six screw bridge on it. See the index - there's quite a lot of info there about that bridge.

Hi Scott,

Can you share some of your thoughts with regards to delays? Do you consider it as fundamental part of your sound? Is there any reason for you to use the SE-70 rather than one of the nice pedals out there? Are there any delay pedals that you like?

Quote:
Yes, delay is part of my sound - I've always loved the echoplex and use it on all my recordings. The only reason I use the SE-70 live is because it does other cool stuff besides just delay and reverb, plus it's small and easy to carry around. There's nothing out there that size with as many sounds in it. I don't use delay pedals, because they need an instrument level signal which means they have to be placed between the guitar and the amp. That makes for a muddy sound if you're using distortion from the amp. The best place for delay or reverb is in the FX loop, and most pedals can't take a +4 signal.

Hi Scott!
Just a very silly monkey gear question:

You said that you stopped using your Bradshaw rig because you don't like buffers in the signal chain... And maybe the weight of your rack too...
But a saw a video in the xotic website where you talk about the importance of the length of the cable from the guitar to your first pedal....
AND that the pedal have a buffer in it, so the length of the cable isn't much an issue after that.

So my question is what's the difference between the buffer of the Bradshaw rig and the buffer of your Xotic RC Booster? Do you like the xotic more?
Or maybe is that you don't like buffers before your gain pedals (and, i'm guessing, that's the reason you only use one gain pedal at a time)?

Thanks a lot!
Daniele

Quote:
Not a silly question at all. Yes, pedals have buffers in them, but running a buffered signal into a pedal is the sound I don't like. Some pedals, like the old Germanium fuzz pedals, totally freak out and don't work at all if you put a buffer before them. My pedals (SD-9 and RC Booster) don't freak out, but they sound fizzy and cold with a buffered signal.

hi Scott.

What algorithm (and settings) do you use in the se70 for your "steel drum/bells" sound on Jakarta? I have it pretty close, but I'm pretty sure you're using a ring modulator along with the pitch-shifting. I have it dialed-in for E minor, but I can't get it to sound quite right...too synthy and not authentic sounding enough.

much thanks!

Quote:
The algorithm is Pitch Shift with no EQ - here are the settings:
Pitch Shifter Voice 3
Pitch Shifter 1
Mode 4
Pitch and Fine 0
Pre Delay 250 ms
Feedback 30
Pan 50 50
Level 50
Pitch Shifter 2
Mode 4
Pitch -12
Fine 0
Pre Delay 0 ms
Pan 50 50
Level 30
Pitch Shifter 3
Mode 1
Pitch +12
Fine 0
Pre Delay 0 ms
Pan 50 50
Level 100
Bass & Treble 0db
Direct Dly 0ms
Direct Level 0
Effect Level 100
Master Level 100

Keep in mind these settings are for use with a mixer, so the SE-70 is 100% wet.

Scott, do you like British comedy? I like their crazy dry humour. "Mighty Boosh" is my personal cult favourite in case you haven't checked it out.

Quote:
I haven't seen that one - I'll try to check it out.

on your youtube videos from 1992 (Big Girl Blues for example) you have massive rack - could you tell us what are all these devices? I see Boogie Studio preamp and probably 295 power amp

Quote:
I saw that - I must have been completely insane. Yes, there's a Boogie 295 and Studio preamp, an ADA STD-1 stereo chorus, three or four digital delays, because at that time multi-FX didn't exist - I had the Ibanez ones which were actually made by Sony. I was playing guitar synth, so there's the Roland interface, a Roland sampler and a Yamaha one space synth module, SPX something…. then on top is the preamp and power amp for the synth stuff. Who knows what else - thank goodness those days are over! I'm so proud of my tiny little rig - I can fly it as extra luggage, and aside from the synth, I can get way more sounds than I could with my huge rack.

My only complaint is the SE-70. Typical of Roland to make something great and then abandon it. They jumped on the amp modeling bandwagon and that was the follow-up to the SE-70. Of course it was a complete failure and they stopped making half space rack stuff altogether. When I think of the technology that's available now, it pisses me off that no one is using it to make a great half space FX box. I can't be the only guy in the world who doesn't want to carry a rack around, but apparently FX companies like Roland must think so. You're probably wondering why I'm complaining about the SE-70. To start, the reverbs suck. The overall quality of the effects is medium at best, and if it was super quality gear like Eventide, you wouldn't need a mixer to use it in the FX loop because it's circuitry would be just as transparent as a mixer's. The only thing the SE-70 has going for it is that it has tons of sounds and is super easy to program.

Hi Scott.

I find it hard to play loud on bigger stages, since almost all my gigs are in (very) small stages and all the rehearsal rooms I have available are also (very) small. At home (an apartment house) I have to practice at very low volume.
Therefore I'm used to and most comfortable with low volumes.

I obviously get a better tone from the amp when I'm able to turn it up, but it also changes the response and feel of the amp into something I'm not used to, thus affecting everything in my playing; phrasing, timing, touch/tone, even technical issues.
I play better with lower volumes than with big stage volumes.
This is a bummer because about 2-4 times a year I have a "bigger" gig with a bigger audience and a larger stage, and at those gigs I play worse being uncomfortable with the louder volume on my amp.

I know the answer is simply to pratice at loud volume, but I have no place where to practice with stage volume.

Would you have any advice, or is practicing loud the only cure?

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Man, I really empathize with your problem. Practicing loud is impractical and bad for your ears. I hate playing really loud, and I agree, it totally fucks up the way the amp works. What's actually happening is, at high volumes, the pickups are close to feeding back if they aren't already (and not in a good way). That makes the amp less punchy because the notes you're playing are fighting against other notes which are trying to feed back. When I play too loud, my guitar feels out of control and clunky. Hammer on's and pull off's don't work as well, so high volume levels are a legato player's worst enemy. Plus, if you're not used to extreme volume, you probably get the same nervous energy from it that I do - I call it feeling "shell shocked". It's OK for playing hard rock, but for more complex types of music, it sucks. Dumb answer, but just because you're on a big stage, it doesn't mean you have to play any louder than you do in a club. That's what PA's are for. Try getting used to what softer than normal volume feels like.

What are you listening to lately? any new music/guitarists I should check out???

(Love your music!!!)

Quote:
A lot of Weather Report. I've listened to some James Muller lately - he's a great jazz guitarist.

Hello again Scott.

Since you're a comedy fan I wanted to post you this link and have your opinion on Scandinavian humour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyFg9xoPKk

Quote:
I like it!

Hi Scott,

Di you still use the Beano Booster at all for recording? Have you tried any of the other Analog Man pedals like the Astro Fuzz?

Quote:
The Beano sounds best with humbuckers so I don't use it that often. I like the Germanium Sun Face but that's the only Analog Man Fuzz I've heard.

Also, I'm curious if you are using the strat with the Humbucker in the bridge for the new Tribal Tech record, and if you are, if your pedals have changed.

Thanks a lot man!

Quote:
I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I will. I use the same pedals regardless of pickups - i just lower the gain a bit for humbuckers.

Hi Scott,

do you use battery with your Octafuzz?

Thanks
Sandro

Quote:
Yes, I use carbon batteries for all my pedals.

Another quick question...

When using humbuckers in bridge, or in general, do you also roll the bridge tone way back? Are you still trying to balance them with the other two single coils?
Do you ever split the bridge bucker?

Thanks man!

Quote:
I roll the tone down, but not as far - around 4 or 5. On the humbucker guitar, I have the neck and middle pickup slightly higher. I don't have humbuckers that split - that's generally a bad idea.

Hey Scott, I finally got me an OD100 Classic+ and it's totally rocking my world! Just a few questions on how you run yours - how do you run your Depth and Feedback settings? I find at gig levels the Depth stays pretty much off and Feedback close to the center indent. Do you ever crank the Feedback to get a bolder/tighter response? Also- If you (or Mike Landau) are gigging in Bombay you're more than welcome to borrow mine.

Quote:
I don't have those controls on my OD-100 or SH-100. I don't know how they're set internally when they're not adjustable on the amp. That's a good question for John.

Have you ever had gigs where you've had to run the amp through those Marshall cabs with G12T-75 speakers? I find I have to use some pretty radical EQ settings on the amp just to get a decent tone.

Quote:
Worst speaker ever made. I have it in my rider - if those cabinets show up on stage, I go back to my hotel.

That cab with Greenbacks that Floyd modded for your Bombay gig is my pick but it's probably the only decent cab in the country, heh heh heh. Can't wait till my Bogner cab gets shipped here! Btw the Laney cabs sound a lot better than the Marshalls, dunno what speakers they're using there.

Quote:
Me either.

Btw I remember you saying that when you got a 16 ohm cab, you had another 16 ohm cab turned backwards to set the total impedance to 8 ohms. Just thought I'd link you to these, you could carry a 100 watt 16 ohm speaker motor for times like those: https://amptechtools.powweb.com/truload.htm (scroll down to last link on the page to the bra with wires hanging out) They also work really well with the Suhr ISO line out box to load the amp down and use speaker impulses etc on the line out.

Quote:
It's a cool idea, but I don't have any extra space to carry around something even that small.

Did you get a chance to check out the Black Cat OD-Fuzz? I made a little demo vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNL3Bin8CkU

Quote:
Cool! It sounds a little nastier than the Sun Face, at least on the video. Great tone - don't you just love the Badger? I'll check out the pedal next time I'm at True Tone - thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: