Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - HRD Mods
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

HRD Mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kindly Killer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: HRD Mods Reply with quote

Hey Scott! I love your music and you've helped me on this board with gear stuff before. I was poking around here today and saw that you are using a Hot Rod Deluxe and I thought I'd try to return some goodwill with a tip on a really easy, reversible mod that makes that amp perfect IMO (HRD is my daily driver).

It's super easy to make it more '60's sounding - more Blackface. It takes 5x longer to remove all the screws, drain the caps, and pull out the board than to do the actual mod.

The tonestack becomes a lot more similar to TMB Blackface amps if you solder a jumper between the wiper and lug #3 on the mid pot - just right on the pot - there's plenty of room on the board.

If you look at a HRD and e.g. a Twin, you can see that that is the major difference between the old tonestack and the new.

The other thing the old ones had that is real characteristic is the treble bypass cap on the volume pot (clean channel volume). I know treble bleed sounds real wonky and wrong in a guitar, but it really seems to give it that vibe if you do it on the amp. Just solder a ceramic cap across 2 & 3 of the volume pot. The Twin schemo I linked to says 120pF, but I used 100pF and after trying that I never opened up the amp again.

And obviously I installed a nice speaker and nice tubes. Oh yeah and those huge Peavey rubber feet (couples it with the floor better when it's tilted back).
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I sent your letter to John Suhr - he'll know better than me if it's something I'd like. He already modded the clean channel by giving it a bit more gain, so he'll read about your mod and maybe he'll want to do it. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: