Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Your early days
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Your early days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mambochan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Your early days Reply with quote

Scott, I've been a huge fan of yours since the late 80s. I've got a few questions for you:

1) How much jazz vocabulary did you have just prior to enrolling at GIT?
2) What was your daily practice routine during your GIT days?
3) What is your method of learning new licks and making them part of your playing? I'm always amazed at how you can keep new ideas flowing.
4) What were some of the mental blocks you had to overcome in achieving your proficiency on the guitar?

Thanks very much for making yourself accessible to us fans.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fine line between giving advice, which I'm happy to do for free, and teaching, which is what I get paid for. When I get hired for workshops, these are the kind of questions I answer. If I answer them for free here, it's not good for business. But I'll give you the short versions, OK? Hope you understand.

1) How much jazz vocabulary did you have just prior to enrolling at GIT?

Very little.

2) What was your daily practice routine during your GIT days?

I never had one. I practiced whenever I could because I was gigging the whole time I went to school.

3) What is your method of learning new licks and making them part of your playing? I'm always amazed at how you can keep new ideas flowing.

Never learn more than one idea a week, or even two weeks. Play it as many ways as you can, and learn how to play into it and out of it so that it doesn't sound like a lick.

4) What were some of the mental blocks you had to overcome in achieving your proficiency on the guitar?

Like most musicians, I've only had one, and that's being nervous while playing. If you can overcome that, the rest is easy.
Roman Hampacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great reply Very Happy
mambochan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I understand. I appreciate your generosity. You gave me all the answers I needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: