Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - a few questions
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

a few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: a few questions Reply with quote

Hey Scott

1. With your trio do you mostly work songs up live for a period of time before recording them? If not do you ever find that you start playing them better after you record them and wish you could have played them live more first?

2. Do you ever record yourself live just to learn what you like and what you don't like about the way you are playing? Like just with a cheap cassette recorder.

3. Do you ever find that you have to play differently live vs on recording? For me sometimes live the stuff that works and gets the band and the audience and me going doesn't translate to tape---

4. When your peers come and hear you play---or other people who you respect as musicians do you ever get nervous and start playing worse?

The reason I ask all of this stuff is because it is what I deal with---when I hear you play it always sounds wonderful to me-I am just curious to hear your take on this stuff because maybe it would help me.

Thanks so much Scott!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. With your trio do you mostly work songs up live for a period of time before recording them? If not do you ever find that you start playing them better after you record them and wish you could have played them live more first?

We always play tunes on the road before recording them, but after the recording there are always more new things which happen that I wish had made it onto the record.

2. Do you ever record yourself live just to learn what you like and what you don't like about the way you are playing? Like just with a cheap cassette recorder.

I used to do that, but now I know the things I don't like about my playing and try to avoid those habits.

3. Do you ever find that you have to play differently live vs on recording? For me sometimes live the stuff that works and gets the band and the audience and me going doesn't translate to tape---

That depends on the tune. Some require a go for it type of solo live and in the studio, but sometimes a tune looses it's compositional value when recorded if the solo goes too long or too haywire.

4. When your peers come and hear you play---or other people who you respect as musicians do you ever get nervous and start playing worse?

Never. I have nothing to prove to anyone, least of all them. They already know I can play. There's only one thing which can make me nervous, and that's a disconnect with the audience, which can happen if they're too far away or I can't see them at all. I've mentioned this in other posts, but it's good to feel that the audience is your friend and on your side. That's why I insist that there's some light on them so I can see them. That makes me feel more like I'm participating in something fun and not "performing" for a black hole in a cold auditorium.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: