Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - gig frustrations
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

gig frustrations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: gig frustrations Reply with quote

Scott.
At this point in your career you fill places with people who come to see you(and you deserve it).
Earlier in your career did you ever play gigs where lots of people talked? I don't mean cover gigs in dance bands where it is OK for people to talk. I mean playing original jazz based music in clubs and having a quarter of the place listening and the rest of the place talking and not caring about the music? So when the dynamics come down you can hear the talking over the band. That makes me so mad when it happens to me or when I go out to hear music and it happens. Where I live people will be completely silent and pay 200.00 to hear the Eagles play. But then when a regional jazz musician plays they talk and won't even pay 7 dollars (but they will spend 30.00 on drinks) And don't even think about booking a national jazz artist to play...The club would lose money.
If someone is talking do you say anything? I guess I just mean if you have any experiences along these lines and feel like writing about some it would be encouraging. It is kind of a vague question...I won't be offended if you don't feel like answering.
Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced it in my early days when I played in clubs with no cover charge. I don't think it's right to tell people to be quiet if they didn't pay to get in - they didn't necessarily come to hear us play. If there's a cover, that's different. People are paying to hear music, and I don't allow rude people to ruin that experience for others, so I'll say something if I have to.

That being said, I go to hear Bruce Forman play sometimes at a place where there's no cover. There definitely should be, for music of that high quality. There are always loud people in there, so sitting close to the stage is the only way to really hear the music. As much as I'd like to stand and yell shut the fuck up, I can't expect people who just walked in for a beer to know anything about jazz.

This is probably not the answer you wanted to hear....
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I wanted you to give voice to my frustration....but I appreciate that you gave an honest answer.

Bruce Forman is a great player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: