Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - SD9 and beyond
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

SD9 and beyond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: SD9 and beyond Reply with quote

Ciao Scott.
Many thanks for being out there inspiring so much musicians around the world, since so many years, and also for being available to share a little part of your experience, spreading valuable tec tips and good advices. I appreciate a lot your humble approach, especially when I think you are among the most aknowledged guitar player in the world.
We met personally many years ago, soon after your gig in Perugia with Joe Zawinul. Do not remeber exactly why, but the gig started very late in the evening, and finished aroun 1 or 2 AM!!
Nevertheless you were keen to join us (me and a couple of guitar folks), soon after, and go walking through Perugia by night, looking for a good place for jamming. No way to find something open, due to the late hour. Therefore we had to say goodbye. But we had a great time there, and I'll remember it forever.

That said, here are my questions:
- I've read in the Analogman site that your Maxon SD9 has been modded by them in the early days of your career. Isn't it true? Are you still using THAT (or any other) modded SD9 so far, or a stock one?
- Which kind of mods you would suggest to a Maxon SD9 owner, which you consider vital to improve its tone quality?
- The internet is crowded with firms whose main business seems to be the stompboxes modding and upgrading. Have you ever had any experience with some of them? Analogman, Keeley or whoever... Who would you suggest to refer to for a good mod?
- I used to have a TS808 bought in the 80s, but I've lost it. What do you think about the reissue model? Ever given it a try?

Many thanks again for being out there, as a steady & brilliant source of inspiration and as a living example of an unbiased, unconventional successful approach to music.

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fabio - Mike at Analog Man is the best at modding pedals in my opinion. His mods to my Ibanez Tube Screamers were great, but now I have a Maxon OD-9, which sounds better to me without a mod. I heard a few different mods on the Maxon SD-9, including one from Mike, but I like the un-modded one more. Mike's Sun Face is still my favorite conventional fuzz, after trying millions of others.

I haven't heard the new TS-808. I'm not using the Tube Screamer type pedals much anymore because they have too much midrange and not enough bass when I use them with the bridge pickup. I like the RC Booster or Vertex Boost more. If I know I'm going to be recording the neck pickup only, I might pull out the OD-9 for a different color. I used it on the track Hirami Miso on the HBC album, but that was a bonus track for Japan.
Sandro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

If I not mistaking, you have used the OD-9 before and went back to the SD-9, just wondering what make you go back to the OD-9

Thank you,
Sandro
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go back to the OD-9 - I only use it in the studio, but rarely. The last time I used a Tube Screamer type pedal on stage was 10 years ago, and I combined it with a Voodoo 1. The RC Booster sounds similar to the combination of those two pedals, but fatter and clearer sounding.
Sandro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scott Henderson"]I didn't go back to the OD-9 - I only use it in the studio, but rarely. The last time I used a Tube Screamer type pedal on stage was 10 years ago, and I combined it with a Voodoo 1. The RC Booster sounds similar to the combination of those two pedals, but fatter and clearer sounding.[/quote]

Thank you Scott.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: