Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Pleasant Surprises & Disappointments
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Pleasant Surprises & Disappointments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muddytrane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Pleasant Surprises & Disappointments Reply with quote

Scott,

I'm really enjoying the Guitar Wank podcasts and especially where you guys talk about guitarists to check out. One of them that you mentioned is an answer to the question I'm about to ask. Can you talk about any guitarists that you've heard of but not actually heard going to a concert that was an unexpected surprise/blew you away and also any that were the exact opposite, a big disappointment? One of those that blew me away many years ago and still does is the great Ronnie Earl (that you mentioned in the podcast - his Live In Europe album is a must listen!) and there are many that have disappointed me, most of them are rock guitarists. Interested in who you mention.............
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha I'm not about to mention guitar players who I expected great concerts from, but disappointed me. It's a bullshit topic, because we all have bad nights. I'd hate to hear that someone came to one of my shows and was disappointed - but I'm sure it's happened due to my totally inconsistent playing.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Scott, I guess I should have worded it a little different. I am more interested in who you had never heard before and when you saw them for the first time they really blew you away more than bashing another guitarist. I only mentioned the disappointments because I have had friends/other guitarists that I know just rave about certain guitarists that I just had to hear/see and when I went they just didn't blow me away with their style of music in general. I fully understand what you mean about having bad nights, bad sound guy, bad venue, etc., but I didn't mean the question that way. I meant that they just didn't either fit your likes in music in general or just didn't inspire you to go out and buy up everything you could of their recorded catalog. I was more interested in the ones that surprised you. Sorry if I sounded like I wanted you to start bashing other guitarists because that's not cool no matter what the circumstances!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I've never been to a concert in my life where I hadn't already heard the guitarist's album. I wouldn't go to see someone I've never heard of, simply because I can't afford that habit - I have a kid in private school! I'd buy the album first, and if I like him enough I'd go see his show.

Sorry, I forgot about one time when a friend of mine took me to see Philip Sayce, but it was at Baked Potato so I get in for free there. Anyway, he was burning and had amazing tone - I really enjoyed the concert and because of that I bought some of his albums.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have to say that I was laughing out loud when I read the part about not affording that habit due to paying for private school! Way back years ago before all the easy access to music we used to go see bands for much cheaper than it was to buy records in those days and like you and the Baked Potato, I knew many of the sound guys and could get in for free. It was many of those shows where I was turned on to many musicians that I now own most of what they have recorded and still enjoy to this day. Thanks again for the reply!
paskiainen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is little bit of topic, but one great disappointment and pleasant surprise were the yngwie books (the official and unofficial). Most hilarious thing about them is how hugely they are different. Where yngwie's own book is mostly about bragging about himself unbelievable manner, the unofficial draws a totally different picture. He's not even an animal if the stories in that are true. That's how fucked up and loud mouth he was and probably still is.

Very entertaining stuff.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Yngwie has mellowed quite a bit over the years but I've heard strange stories too. Even some of his old Guitar Player magazine interviews are pretty odd. I remember one with John McLaughlin in particular was s pretty good read.

Best,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: