Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Wank road show
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Wank road show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Wank road show Reply with quote

Scott

That was amazing yesterday. Sitting up in the front row watching you and Bruce play was a real learning experience.
Since I went to learn and not just to passively enjoy I really heard how you tell a story when you play. I always hear this on your albums but when listening and seeing it live it is apparent that this is a big reason why it sounds great when you guys improvise. Also it was awesome to sit right in front of your rig and hear the sound coming out of the speakers. It sounded like the albums! No studio trickery is going on to my disappointment:)

It was also cool to see young people at GIT getting exposed to this music.

Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming Dizzy! It was a successful event and I'm also glad to see young people with open minds enjoying jazz and other kinds of music which are non-mainstream.

The only thing I had a hard time with is the stage volume - that room is set up mainly for rock bands, therefore the drum riser, which adds volume and bass frequencies to the drums which we don't like much. So I was playing a lot louder than usual and I don't play as relaxed at that volume. That's something I really need to overcome because there are many rooms like that on the road.
Maybe earplugs!
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting how quiet you are able to play. Not quiet by straight ahead jazz standards but quiet by rock standards. I was expecting it to have to be much louder for you to get that tone.
I have seen you through the years but not with your current trio. You used to play much louder which didn't bother me because I like loud guitar in jazz rock. Your rhythm section now allows you to play at a good volume. The blend coming off the stage was a good mix and I wasn't hearing the house sound. Travis gets a nice full bass tone that doesn't get muddy, it stays defined. And Alan keeps the energy up without playing super loud.

I was surprised at how loud Bruce plays(in a good way). I notice lots of straight ahead guys don't get the amp working but he gets the amp up a little so it sounds full and warm. Almost like a big clean blues sound.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I used to play a lot louder because I was playing with louder drummers. Travis and Alan play at a medium volume and that's a huge improvement for me. I play much more relaxed when the volume isn't overbearing.

Bruce likes his amp to distort a little and I'm glad he isn't one of those super clean players. His playing has balls - I love to hear him play those low voicings and hear the amp struggling to keep up. It's raw, the way jazz should be!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: