Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Master volume - why and how?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Master volume - why and how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Master volume - why and how? Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
A further question about tone here.
You always mention MV as an indispensable feature onboard your # 1 amp SH 100. My understanding is that it's almost a Plexi-style amp, and I'm wandering which way you set MV up and why your consider it that important.
When ordering my Plexi replica boutique amp, the manufacturer used to offer MV feature as an add on, but during the order dealing he said he is on the fence with that, as it seems somehow degrading the tone quality when it's set somewhere below 10.
I decided to go on however, as I was sure it would have helped to reduce volume without altering the gain, when needed.
Reality is that - in my personal taste and experience - lowering the MV reduce punch and warmness, as much of the gain comes from the saturation of final stage tubes.
I imagine you do not tweak MV to get a lower volume, as you say you manage it through a volume pedal in the FX loop... So, why a MV? And how? Do you tweak it when reconding, in order to get different tones, or your approach is set and forget it?

Many thanks

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a previous owner of a '69 plexi Marshall, I can tell you one thing - it's loud as fuck. Even with a high gain pedal, the amp doesn't start breaking up until the volume is at least on 8. If you use that with one 4x12 cabinet, you'll blow the speakers in 5 minutes. Those amps are meant to be used with two 4x12's, and played on giant stages, not clubs and small theaters. Unless you want to go deaf.

The belief that MV amps aren't punchy is a myth. All my recordings are done with MV amps - you don't need to push the power tubes to distortion. You only need to get them hot enough to make the notes big and fat sounding - it's true that if they're not pushed hard enough the amp will sound thin and less punchy, but with an MV amp, 4 or 5 is plenty - that's half the volume of 8!

I set the preamp to make the amp crunchy when my guitar is on 10 with no pedal, then the pedal does the rest of the work. The master volume is set to approximately the loudest I intend to play, so that's a set it and leave it thing. The SVC in the FX loop allows me to control the master volume without affecting the gain, which I control by switching pedals or using the volume knob on the guitar.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hepful advice Scott, but that volume monster is not my thing.
My plexi is a 50 watt amp (JCM 45?) hooked up to a 2x12 cab with greenbacks. Nevertheless in an earlier post I was asking you a suggestion about load boxes, 'cause even those 50 watts seem too much with some bands I usually play gigs with... Also because if i turn down the MV below 8 amp starts sounding like an empty box....
According to your advice I bought me a Fryette Power Station, a very well built piece of gear which allows me to set the plexi MV at 10 (pre volume set around 1 PM), with a fuller, richer tone, and route it through the Fryette to drive the cab. It sports both a load box and a 40 watts power amp, with the additional benefit of a FX loop - alike routing, as far as I can put time based effects between the amp and the Fryette's PA.
Germino's amps are period correct vintage replicas, so thet they do not have any FX loop.
Well I know that for some tone purist out there it sounds like a scandal - It's a good compromise though I'm quite happy with. Fryette seems delivering transparently the amp original tone, but just at the right volume, and without affecting the gain. That's priceless!

When occasionally I can rely on a resident additional speaker (and a large concert room / stage), I use a dry-wet set up with the Fryette PA (which DOES sport a presence control) driving the wet cab.

Coming back to your answer, sorry Scott I do not understand why using a MV if you set it at nearly the maximum. In my amp there's a big difference in tone when i set MV at 7 or at 10. At 10 it sounds undoubtedly much better....

Thanks

Fabio
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hepful advice Scott, but that volume monster is not my thing.
My plexi is a 50 watt amp (JCM 45?) hooked up to a 2x12 cab with greenbacks. Nevertheless in an earlier post I was asking you a suggestion about load boxes, 'cause even those 50 watts seem too much with some bands I usually play gigs with... Also because if i turn down the MV below 8 amp starts sounding like an empty box....
According to your advice I bought me a Fryette Power Station, a very well built piece of gear which allows me to set the plexi MV at 10 (pre volume set around 1 PM), with a fuller, richer tone, and route it through the Fryette to drive the cab. It sports both a load box and a 40 watts power amp, with the additional benefit of a FX loop - alike routing, as far as I can put time based effects between the amp and the Fryette's PA.
Germino's amps are period correct vintage replicas, so thet they do not have any FX loop.
Well I know that for some tone purist out there it sounds like a scandal - It's a good compromise though I'm quite happy with. Fryette seems delivering transparently the amp original tone, but just at the right volume, and without affecting the gain. That's priceless!

When occasionally I can rely on a resident additional speaker (and a large concert room / stage), I use a dry-wet set up with the Fryette PA (which DOES sport a presence control) driving the wet cab.

Coming back to your answer, sorry Scott I do not understand why using a MV if you set it at nearly the maximum. In my amp there's a big difference in tone when i set MV at 7 or at 10. At 10 it sounds undoubtedly much better....

Thanks

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there's no need for a MV amp if you're going to be turning it up all the way. I use 100 watt amps, so I need it to have a MV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: