Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Clueless in Ohio
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Clueless in Ohio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Clueless in Ohio Reply with quote

Hi John,
Everybody keeps asking Scott questions, I didn't want you to feel left out. Smile I just bought my very first electric bass, now I can move with it and look like I can play it ( I think it might help if I had a strap?ha). But other then that I'm clueless!!! Crying or Very sad SO my question is can you recommend a book, CD-ROM, or anything to get me started with?? Confused Your help would be most appreciated. Thank-You ((((Scott Razz ))))
johnh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: First Bass Reply with quote

Hey LC,
Thanks for thinking of me ;-)
Honestly I'm not familiar enough with what's out there to be able to recommend a start up bass book or dvd. But I would recommend asking around- friends, music stores etc. about a bass teacher. It's worth the money. A good teacher can save you a lot of time. As a teacher myself I feel my forte is getting a grasp of the way my student's minds like to work. Then I tailor the information for their particular mode of understanding. It varies greatly. Some people hate to work off a piece of paper. Some like a little pressure- with homework assignments and lots of challenges. Others seem to be going very slow and then suddenly have assimilated a large amount. A book or dvd won't be able to adjust to suit your style of learning.
I would highly recommend a website for you though- http://www.musictheory.net Great Flash-based exercises (especially the musical ear trainers). You can download the entire trainers package. Ricci Adams certainly deserves a few ducats for his labor, so if you find yourself, as I do, firing up that ear trainer again and again, please consider making a donation.
As for straps- it's funny you should mention it. I have to nag my students to wear one when they're sitting down. Your left hand should not have to carry the weight of your bass. Have a strap setting for sitting and another for standing. Pick a strap that makes that adjustment easy to do.
And lastly- play with people. You might not know it but you're only a few months away from playing in a band if you find the right people. Guitar players love to solo- they are thrilled to find someone who will play the same riff over and over again ;-) while they do their thing. So you can end up playing with musicians quite a bit above your head- learning all the time.
Hope that helps.
Best,
JohnH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: