Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - some questions
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sieuminh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: some questions Reply with quote

Hi John

I have some questions for you:

- in general how did you develop your musical skills, just by playing real music or did you learn formally?

- if you have to play a completely new song, no charts, with someone who already knows it, what would you do (assuming it's not a bloody jazz tune with 2 billion changes Very Happy)?

- why don't you solo more in the Scott Henderson Live CD? I'd love to hear it
johnh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions Reply with quote

Apologies for not answering sooner! I must have missed the post over Christmas out of the country etc. You can always email me direct, de-137@lafn.org.

In general I was just a kid with an acoustic guitar my parents got me when I was 10 who later became enamored of the bass and was fortunate enough to have a neighbor selling a Hofner Beatle bass one Christmas that my Dad picked up for $50. I was 14. We had a little band and I learned riffs from friends and off records. Hendrix, Zep, Cream...
In Canada in those days there was a real market for live R&R so by 19 I was gigging all over Ontario with a cover/original band making a living. We had a full time 3 man crew, a giant PA system, a 22' truck with a sleeper, 2 Geni towers full of lights. Big fun.
But when Heavy Weather came out and I heard Jaco I was completely baffled and amazed. I knew then I would have to study music. I couldn't handle that someone was playing 'my' instrument and that I didn't have a clue. I ended up moving to Los Angeles to study at MI. At that time it was primarily a jazz oriented school and there were a lot of great players to tap into. I continued to gig mostly rock but practiced jazz.
New song, no chart? Well I'd want some kind of recording, of the chords at least, so that I could work up a bass line on my own by ear. Maybe build a little chord chart.
I've averaged about 2 solos a night in Scott's gig. Likewise Kirk actually. That's the nature of the gig. I'm having a lot of fun in the background most people would miss. There's room enough in the groove area for me to be working on something new or improvising down there. That's fun too. But at some point I may summon up the energy to do some kind of solo record.
Thanks for asking.
Best,
JohnH
sieuminh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Thanks for the answer!

I'll have to listen more closely to the Henderson Live CD then Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: